what shools offer in-state tuition to out-of-staters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jtorres

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i know at UTSW out-of-staters get in-state tuition (I dont know what the reqs are). i was curious to see if other schools offer similar programs. i am applying here in Texas but need to apply on AMCAS app to apply to Baylor since they dont participate in TMDSAS. might as well apply to other AMCAS schools while im at it. i will only consider seriouly going out of state if i can get in-state tuition or a nice scholarship to help overide the cost.

Members don't see this ad.

Here's what I figured out during this application process.

U of Colorado: in-state tuition after year 1 (year 1 out of tuition is super high though)

SUNY Downstate: in-state tuition after year 1 (I think that you have to live off-campus for this though to establish residency)

Penn State: can't get in-state tuition

UCs: I think in-state after year 1, but I am not sure

I think that's all I know.

I know there has been threads on this, so do a search.

I will post if I remember more.

The ohio schools offer in state tuition after a year as well

Members don't see this ad :)
SUNY Upstate lets you apply for in-state status after one year as well.

The UC's offer instate titution after a year too.

Originally posted by SoulRFlare
The ohio schools offer in state tuition after a year as well

Of course, OSU charges you like $47k the first year or something ridiculous to make up for it.

i believe Univ of Hawaii offers instate tuition for states that lack a med school.. i could be mistaken..

I know a MS1 at UCSD who is from Michigan, but basically pays in state tuition because SD gave him grant money to make up the difference.

rikio i doubt hawaii will show my any love. TEX has 8 med schools.

NJMS and RWJ - once school starts, everyone is considered an in-state applicant. tuition is almost 20g/yr.

Originally posted by TysonCook
University of Cincinnati does. First year is almost 30K, but then drops to about 17k after that.

...it's actually 21,390 next year for in state, with a spike up to 28,520 in the third year. can someone explain why they do that?
out of state tuition is 37,227

Hello,
Yeah, my numbers were for 2002-2003. For MSIII you have a full year of school (you are here in the summer) instead of just the fall/spring for MSI and MSII so they tack on one semester of tuition, it will drop back down again in MSIV.

Here is the updated info:
As far as tuition goes this is what we are at for 2004-2005 (included is a estimated 9% increase over last year) :

2004-2005 est.
Freshman Ohio resident: $19,662
Freshman Ohio Non-Resident $34,191
Sophmore Resident Same as above
Jr. Resident $25,382
Sr. Resident $18,889

These are online at under "cost of attendence":
https://comdo-wcnlb.uc.edu/MedOneStop/FinancialAid/FinancialAid.aspx

Hope this helps.

On another note, UC is really great on giving some fin aid and grants for those that are out of state to bring down the initial cost for out-of-staters. I was out of state and when it was all said and done I managed to pay only about $2k more for the out of state tuition for the first year, then for II-IV you are instate. Pretty good deal!

Originally posted by Medbound2004
The UC's offer instate titution after a year too.

i think its quite difficult to get though.

Originally posted by TysonCook
Hello,
Yeah, my numbers were for 2002-2003. For MSIII you have a full year of school (you are here in the summer) instead of just the fall/spring for MSI and MSII so they tack on one semester of tuition, it will drop back down again in MSIV.

Here is the updated info:
As far as tuition goes this is what we are at for 2004-2005 (included is a estimated 9% increase over last year) :

2004-2005 est.
Freshman Ohio resident: $19,662
Freshman Ohio Non-Resident $34,191
Sophmore Resident Same as above
Jr. Resident $25,382
Sr. Resident $18,889

These are online at under "cost of attendence":
https://comdo-wcnlb.uc.edu/MedOneStop/FinancialAid/FinancialAid.aspx

Hope this helps.

That's messed up...the financial aid book they sent me said that tuition would be 21,390 next year (and 28,520 third year...2004-2005...I'm sitting here looking at it as i type) I don't know which is right...i'd assume the webpage would be more up to date, but it's not my experience that schools lower their tuition...

Originally posted by phenolphthalein
UVA offers out of staters a $10K/yr scholarship

It's 15K a year for out of staters but it is need based