what should a bio prof. say in the LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lucyzhang

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I asked one of my bio professors for a letter of recommendation. she said she would like to meet with me about what I want her to say in the letter.
anyone have any idea what should be there? besides maybe I am smart and dedicated, etc. :confused:
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

What you should do is to prepare the following to give to the professor:

- resume
- dental applicant essay (rough draft is okay)
- transcript & class test/assignments that you had with the professor
- if you have time, write a short essay that includes everything that has not been said from above
- also, when you meet with her, give a little information about why you want to enter dentistry and what activities have you done to get closer in obtaining this goal.

A good dental LOR in my opinion includes your academic achievements, your personality and characteristics, your contribution to your university and/or community, your capacity to handle dental school in the opinion of the professor.

However, because there are no restrictions on what to right on the LOR, just give her the documents from above and based on these information, as well as the prof's impression of you from the time you had her class, she will be able to write a very detailed LOR.

lucyzhang said:
I asked one of my bio professors for a letter of recommendation. she said she would like to meet with me about what I want her to say in the letter.
anyone have any idea what should be there? besides maybe I am smart and dedicated, etc. :confused:
thanks

She managedto not do SERIOUS damage to anyone in the lab?

Members don't see this ad :)
The Musketeer said:
What you should do is to prepare the following to give to the professor:

- resume
- dental applicant essay (rough draft is okay)
- transcript & class test/assignments that you had with the professor
- if you have time, write a short essay that includes everything that has not been said from above
- also, when you meet with her, give a little information about why you want to enter dentistry and what activities have you done to get closer in obtaining this goal.

A good dental LOR in my opinion includes your academic achievements, your personality and characteristics, your contribution to your university and/or community, your capacity to handle dental school in the opinion of the professor.

However, because there are no restrictions on what to right on the LOR, just give her the documents from above and based on these information, as well as the prof's impression of you from the time you had her class, she will be able to write a very detailed LOR.

I completely agree that providing your letter writer with your application essay really helps both the letter writer and you. I gave my application essay to one of my letter writers and I got a huge 2 page recommedation from him (I know this Interfolio tells you how many pages the letter is).

When I interviewed at a particular school, the interviewer was candid enough to view the letters right in front of me. He didn't let me read them, but I could clearly see the length of both letters. I even talked to the interviewer about the letters who told me that both were very positive, but that the longer letter had a lot more meaning.

I think that if you provide your letter writers with the right tools to write you a good letter, they will usually make the effort to write a nice personal and meaningful letter. If you put yourself in the professor's place you will see that it is a difficult job, and giving them something to write about helps them tremendously.

When you meet with the professor let them get an understanding of what is driving you to enter the profession. Make sure that they can sense the passion you have for the field or for the aspects of the field that make you want to pursue it. Showing an unique personality during the meeting can really help your professor write something about you that tells the admissions committee something about you that might make you a compelling person to want to interview.

does interofolio tell u the page? plz tell me how to do that, thanks
besides, i did give her my resume, transcripts, but application essay is not done yet
I just don't know what to say when I meet with her

Go to www.interfolio.com . See if you like what they offer.

On what to tell your professor, I can't tell you what to say. Just be yourself, relax and be earnest about what your goals and aspirations are.

The prof will probably ask you questions - similar to what you might get from dental interview.....just be yourself, I am sure your professor will write you a good letter!