What should I add to my extracurricular activities to get into pharmacy school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kwassa63

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm still a freshman in undergrad. I'm already a participant in the school's Dance Alliance and Pre-Health Club.

What I plan on doing:

- Teach various dance lessons at Dance Alliance
- Join a rock band next year as a drummer
- Volunteer every summer at Camp Korey
- Work as a pharmacist assistant starting this summer, and part-time on weekends during the school year
- Start a photography blog next year
- Be on lookbook.nu next year

Is that good enough?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
When I first became involved in a club at school, it was in the pre-med club. The pre-pharm club lost leadership and was non-existent at that point. I was able to meet a few other pre-pharm students and we decided to branch off and reactivate the pre-pharm club. I suggest doing the same. And holding leadership positions in school clubs is definitely smiled upon! The music and blog can be considered hobbies, which is okay because there's usually a spot for those on applications too. The pharmacy work experience is great as well. You are definitely on your way!

Extracurriculars like the blogging and rock band that you described are good experiences and you should definitely do them if that's what you want, but I doubt they'll make much of a difference for pharmacy admissions. Experience in pharmacy is what can really put you over the edge with admissions (and if your interviewer can ask you some engaging questions about that pharmacy experience, and you're able to answer effectively, so much the better!) Leadership/organizational experience also looks pretty on any resume, so if you can work your way up to more of a leadership capacity in your volunteer efforts, that won't hurt either.