MD Deleted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

souravdada

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your clinical volunteering and teaching/leadership are sufficient.You will need exposure to the doctor-patient relationship for med school so get this through shadowing, scribing, etc. Med schools want to know that you understand the daily activities and responsibilities of a physician. Prioritize this and aim for ~50 hours. There should be primary care offices close by that you can contact.

You also could add non-clinical service to people less fortunate than yourself (soup kitchens, free clinics, etc.). Most top-tier medical schools have incoming classes where >95% of the students completed research. If you are targeting any of those schools you should get some research experience or do something incredible to make your app stand out without research (this will be hard to do in just 1 year).

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you @NeuroSoph75 . Should shadowing ~50 hours be sufficient or is that for non-clinical service?
Ideally, both. But 50 hours is kind of the rule of thumb minimum for med schools, especially since you don't have exposure to the duties of a physician in other ways (unless you work closely with the ED physicians when you volunteer). You should also maintain your EMS volunteer position, if possible. It would be interesting if you could shadow in the rural area that you volunteer -- you would probably learn about disparities in healthcare access for this population.

Try to have longitudinal experiences (shadowing in two specialties for 25 hours each is better than five 10 hour experiences). Same with volunteering, pick one thing and stick to it.

I have been volunteering as an EMT for 1.5 years now and will do so for the rest of my undergraduate career. In terms of shadowing I have approached some primary care clinics and am waiting to hear back from them. Is it gonna be too bad if i have no research or little research versus at least a year of research?

I have been volunteering as an EMT for 1.5 years now and will do so for the rest of my undergraduate career. In terms of shadowing I have approached some primary care clinics and am waiting to hear back from them. Is it gonna be too bad if i have no research or little research versus at least a year of research?
Just depends on where you want to go to school (or, more accurately, where you want to have a shot at going to school). 97% of the entering class at Hopkins had research experience, this drops to 89% for schools like Loyola, Tulane. Just search MSAR to see the statistics for the schools you are targeting. People get into med school without research experience.