What should I be doing during my gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted976130

My science gpa= 3.53 and c gpa is 3.7, which both include university and community college science classes. My university science gpa= 3.2ish-3.3ish and c gpa=3.6ish. I took most of my pre reqs at university, and did not do well in orgo 1= D, C+ and orgo 2= C+. I took quite a few classes at community college while enrolled in university to satisfy some gen ed credits and took more science classes like microbio, anataomy/physiology, and etc. since I did not live on campus and needed to take care of family members who were in and out of the hospital. I know this will be something I will most likely have to address in my application. I am a senior and am planning to graduate soon and apply to med school. I was wondering what you all think I should be doing during my gap year? Should I be taking more upper level science classes at university and if so how many credits would be a good amount?

All of my community college credits transferred to my undergraduate school
Taken upper level Physiology 300 level=A and 300 level Biochemistry= A

I am a Michigan resident and am planning to take the MCAT in May/June.
Good Extracurriculars and a lot of medical and non-medical volunteering service
Have Letters of Rec from Professors and a DO physician

Also, are there any schools you all think I should be applying to? Thank you all the help is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your total GPA is what matters. School list can advise once you have a MCAT score.

Thank you for the reply @Magus5454 . So the total gpa is what DO schools use for the screening process? Also, are DO medical schools usually more relaxed about accepting community college credit if it transfers to university?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the reply @Magus5454 . So the total gpa is what DO schools use for the screening process? Also, are DO medical schools usually more relaxed about accepting community college credit if it transfers to university?
Any CC credit should be fine. I did half my undergrad at one.

Everything looks good... need a 502+ MCAT and should get in somewhere.
If you're looking for MSUCOM, would def try and get no lower than 504.
508+ for MD.

How are your practice tests going?

Gap year - work somewhere with clinical exposure. Will help with SP in school and gives you something to talk about at II's. It's getting tougher and tougher every year so don't just slack, but def keep yourself rested from burning out.

Reactions: 1 user
I know my buddies who were scribes in their gap year(s) said that was super helpful.
Continue volunteering for sure.

If you are local and interested in staying in Michigan then definitely reach out to MSUCOM. They have advisors that will talk to potential applicants about their application thus far and if there are areas that they would like to see improvements in. This helped me a great deal knowing where I stood when I applied there.

I know my buddies who were scribes in their gap year(s) said that was super helpful.
Continue volunteering for sure.

If you are local and interested in staying in Michigan then definitely reach out to MSUCOM. They have advisors that will talk to potential applicants about their application thus far and if there are areas that they would like to see improvements in. This helped me a great deal knowing where I stood when I applied there.
On that note - I did exactly as they said and they still ruled me out... that's med school for you. It's a crapshoot getting in these days.