What should I be doing now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Artimacia

can do stuff real good
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going into my junior year. I'm finishing up my prereqs now (taking physics 2 and organic chem 2). This fall I'm taking Biochemistry, genetics, tragedies of technology, seven deadly sins, and independent research in organic chemical forensics. I plan on taking the MCAT in January. My mdapps: http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=10539 shows more. Any advice on what I should be doing now, could be trying, etc... I'm about to start some studying for the MCAT but not too heavy. Any advice is really appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say most important is to make your clinical volunteering a weekly part of your life for 3-4 hours. Also, try to shadow two other types of doc for 8-40 hours each, ideally, one being in primary care. You are on track for a research experience, you have leadership, you have teaching, and very importantly, you have lots of community service.

Of course, keep your GPA high. Genetics can be sneaky, so stay on top of it.

If you are finishing up your prerequisites, you could consider taking the MCAT late this fall if you are able to put in enough study time. It would be great to have that out of the way. And you'll never know OChem and Physics as well as you will when you finish those two summer school classes.

Thank Mobius, you do have the best advice here. I was going to take it September 12th, but I really don't think I'll have enough time studying for it :( Yea, I need to continue more with clinical and more shadowing.