What should I be looking to do in my fourth year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Seymourbutts

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi this is the first time posting here, so I'm not sure if this is the right place. I just wanted to post what I have, my future plans, and ask what I should be thinking of adding to my application.

UCSD BS
GPA: 3.393
Major: 3.54. Biochemistry Cell biology
Science: 3.48 :\. C in Math...

Work:
Intern at a physical therapist 2 hrs/week for a year. Worked with patients.
Student assistant at Pfizer for 1.5 years. No publications. Had a few own experiments.
TA for 3 quarters of lower division biology and chemistry
Research on campus from this summer to date.

Medical Experience
Hospital work 4 hours/week, but only stayed for a couple of months cuz all i did was restocking
Volunteer at UCSD Free clinic for about 3 hours/week. From summer to date. No patient interaction.
Training to start working at SD Hospice and palliative care.

Extracirricular:
Prehealth frat for 2 years
Leadership in volunteer org starting this year.

No shadowing, but I hope to start soon with a connection from the frat. Haven't take the mcat yet.

So I have several of questions:

1.) First, I'm starting my research during undergrad for the BS/MS program which is primarily research oriented with a thesis at the end. I've been thinking of abandoning it because my research is difficult and I really hate it. I'm just itching to get out of lab, and I'm having trouble finding time to study for the mcats. Should I just quit the research, study mcat for the rest of the year, and find a job in the medical field after I graduate during the application process? I really wanted to publish, but I feel like this masters won't hel as much as clinical research.
2.) Shadowing: Does it matter if the place you shadow only allows you to shadow for a couple of times? Is that really weak?
3.) LOR: My PI quit about 6 months into my job at Pfizer, and the tech I worked under is super FOBBY, so I'm not sure if she can write well enough... Should I still ask her for a rec? I will have none if I leave my research job.
4.) LOR: Is it bad if you ask for a lor from a professor whose class you didn't get an A in? I have a feeling I can't pull an A in microbio lab, but I got an A- in her other class, and she knows me by name. I feel if I start going to her Office hours I can get a nice rec still.
5.) Experience: Should I still put in extracirriculars even though I was at them for a short period of time. I volunteered in a lab for 6 hours a week for 6 months, so I don't really have much to write about them. Does it look bad if I keep jumping from activity to activity?
6.) What other activities? I definetly know shadowing is a big thing, but I think my volunteer, clinical, and academic is pretty set for this year.
7.) Would putting in intramural sports help?

Members don't see this ad.