What should I be working on in next year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gp2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I had this posted in the WAMC but I am a nontraditional URM applicant and hoping to get advice from nontraditional applicants here.

I currently have sGPA 3.4 and overall GPA 3.8 and have already graduated from a UC. I still have to take many of my prereqs (physics, biochem, stats, bio2, and my ochem labs). I missed registration for spring 2016 at my local CCs and have to wait until summer to get into any classes. I am thinking of finishing biochem and my ochem labs at my UC undergrad during summer session and taking physics, bio2, and stats at the local CC next school year. Should this be ok to do? I am hoping that I can finish all prereqs by next spring 2017 and begin preparing for MCAT.

I am wondering what would be the best for me to be doing in the meantime and also while I am finishing prereqs. I have over a year of research experience, many years of various volunteering (soup kitchen, nursing home, tutoring, building homes for homeless, leadership positions) and teaching experience (math, science, writing, and art related).

Also, is it more important to have additional volunteer experience or is it okay for me to be working at a job that is unrelated to medicine? Or, is it okay for me to be simply developing a hobby such as painting? I am unsure as to what will show that I am the most ready for medical school.

Thank you for your advice.

Members don't see this ad.