What should I buy for optometry school? I’m starting in the fall.

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspiringdocfingerscrossed

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I’m accepting an offer to attend UC Berkeley school of optometry in fall 2019! I was wondering if you have suggestions of what to buy, that I can use throughout optometry school.

I already know that I want to buy a journal to document my experience since I regret forgetting much of my undergraduate life. I currently use an old 2012 MacBook. Do you all prefer to use iPads to study instead?

What things do you recommend I buy, that helped you in opto school or that you wish you had earlier? Any advice for this upcoming first-year student is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all,

I’m accepting an offer to attend UC Berkeley school of optometry in fall 2019! I was wondering if you have suggestions of what to buy, that I can use throughout optometry school.

I already know that I want to buy a journal to document my experience since I regret forgetting much of my undergraduate life. I currently use an old 2012 MacBook. Do you all prefer to use iPads to study instead?

What things do you recommend I buy, that helped you in opto school or that you wish you had earlier? Any advice for this upcoming first-year student is appreciated!
Also, when should I start studying for board exams?

Hi all,

I know for me I went through 4 computers in grad school lol so I'm not sure how long that 2012 Macbook will last but try as long as you can! Make sure to have an external drive to back-up, crucial. And back-up often.

I would say just relax and enjoy your time until school starts. It is exciting, and you soon will not have much free time of your own. I wouldn't study for boards until end of 2nd year or beginning of 3rd year, all your schoolwork is prep for boards.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I know for me I went through 4 computers in grad school lol so I'm not sure how long that 2012 Macbook will last but try as long as you can! Make sure to have an external drive to back-up, crucial. And back-up often.

I would say just relax and enjoy your time until school starts. It is exciting, and you soon will not have much free time of your own. I wouldn't study for boards until end of 2nd year or beginning of 3rd year, all your schoolwork is prep for boards.
Thank you!

Hi all,

What people use to study is variable but most people use an iPad with notability or their laptop. The laptop is more versatile but given the age of yours I might consider upgrading to a new one. I personally used an iPad but I could borrow my SO’s laptop for anything that was annoying to do on an iPad (like writing papers, putting together presentations etc). If I had to pick one I’d pick a laptop.

Nothing else you need to buy at this point since they’ll guide you through equipment purchases. Unless it’s a really good deal, I actually recommend buying new equipment simply due to the free replacements/repairs you get as a student. A few classmates purchased used equipment and regretted it because they didn’t end up saving that much and had no way to repair it if it malfunctioned.

My only advice is not to get caught up with academics. Get involved with other things too.

Reactions: 1 users
What people use to study is variable but most people use an iPad with notability or their laptop. The laptop is more versatile but given the age of yours I might consider upgrading to a new one. I personally used an iPad but I could borrow my SO’s laptop for anything that was annoying to do on an iPad (like writing papers, putting together presentations etc). If I had to pick one I’d pick a laptop.

Nothing else you need to buy at this point since they’ll guide you through equipment purchases. Unless it’s a really good deal, I actually recommend buying new equipment simply due to the free replacements/repairs you get as a student. A few classmates purchased used equipment and regretted it because they didn’t end up saving that much and had no way to repair it if it malfunctioned.

My only advice is not to get caught up with academics. Get involved with other things too.

To add to that, OneNote is a great program that almost everyone in my class uses. It's like Notability but I prefer OneNote because you can have more sub-sections within a notebook.

I use a Lenovo Yoga 720 and it's really good. A lot of people in my class use Macs but they tend to have issues with our electronic health records program and Examsoft.

Try investing in a new lap top - I personally would recommend MacBook Air. It's light/thin and great with battery life. Im just grateful for time when I go to places that doesn't have plugs and I can still study for durations of time.

Congrats on your acceptance.

Hi all,

I have a HP Spectre 360 and an iPad (mainly bought third year for boards prep). You start studying for part 1 of boards your third year