Medical What should I change for my re-app, or should I wait a year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am currently awaiting to hear back from schools for the EY 2021 cycle, but I have not received any interview invites. Therefore, I am looking for advice on what to specifically change for the next cycle, or if I need to wait another year so that I can fix the blemishes on my app.

Not URM
Residency: TX
cGPA: 3.36 / TMDSAS sGPA: 3.44 (last 3 semesters: 3.58/3.8/4.0) / AACOMAS sGPA: 3.52
MCAT: 509 (unbalanced with 123 in CARS)
Research: 1 year (250+hours) in a microbiology lab
Clinical: 1.5 years (200+ hours) at a hospital / 40 hours shadowing / recently began ED scribing
Volunteer: 300+ hours over 4 years with marginalized groups
EC: 4 years with a service-oriented student org holding multiple leadership positions
Work: 1.5 semesters barista / 1 year SI Leader (senior year) / 1 year inner-city youth ministry (after graduating) / ED scribe (current)
Applied to in-state TX schools and a couple of OOS DO schools (no invites through either app service)

I am tossed between an MCAT retake and applying again in May, or attending an SMP or post-bacc and waiting another year to apply. If it's the former, what goal MCAT score would I need? If it's the latter, should I pursue a SMPor a DIY post-bacc? Thank you!
Your GPAs are low for MD (even for TX). If you want MD, you will need a post-bac year.

You are good for DO. I am surprised you didn’t get any invites. Did you apply late? How many and to which DO schools did you apply?

Members don't see this ad.

Not having a physician letter limited the number of schools, so only 5! I also applied in June. Thank you! I probably will do the post-bacc and continue working at the ED to obtain a DO physician letter.
Yeah even if it's not an explicit requirement, not having a physician letter undoubtedly hurt.

I agree, spending a year to do a post-bacc I think will probably do wonders.

Status
Not open for further replies.