What should I do about extracurriculars?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

V781

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in my Junior year and was planning to hold off on applying until next year (Senior year) so that I could work on extracurriculars and hospital experience. I had joined a lab and was told I could co-author a paper if I worked hard, planned on volunteering and working as a medical scribe, and was considering working as a TA for a quarter or two... Now, clearly, everything is on lockdown. My school is considering carrying out online curriculum in the fall as well. I'm not able to do anything now and this means I won't be able to for the next 6 months at the least. I anticipate that winter will be worse (as all viruses come forth in the winter) and that winter quarter will likely then be online as well.

Should I just go ahead and take MCAT/apply this spring with very limited ECs? I don't know what to do..I'm nontrad and am in my late 20s. I really cannot wait around any longer.

Members don't see this ad.

If you are interested in research for extracurriculars there are large datasets on the internet involving COVID-19. You can take a look at those and take research into your own hands. I have been looking into data sets, but it requires a lot of extra reading.