What should I do about my job?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by caseofthemndays, May 7, 2008.

1. caseofthemndays

Resident [Any Field]
    So, I snagged a great job after graduation. I work directly with patients and under amazing doctors in a clinic. I have a lot of responsibility, great pay and serendipitously my boyfriend and I get the same really random days off. The doctors love me, but the office manager is pretty mean to me. He harasses me and blames me for things I didn't do, even really small things that wouldn't even matter. I think I remind him of someone he didn't like in high school or something. I don't want to quit, but he makes my job very stressful. I could get a long-term temp job that is unrelated to medicine. What do you guys think? Stick it out for another year, or get a desk job.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. nonesuchgirl

Seriously, barbie, you're going to have to make your own decisions in the real world. Start now.

4. sunny1

Pre-Medical
    What do you mean by harasses you? Can you just try better to ignore the person and not let them "get" to you? Or have you tried confronting the office manager about the way you are treated? Perhaps speaking to your superior or HR about it?

5. Phillykid162

Asking on SDN costs the OP nothing. What's the going rate for a decent shrink? :smuggrin:

6. nonesuchgirl

Eh, Jack Daniels runs $14 a bottle.

7. Wylde

Pre-Medical
    awesome use of the word serendipitously!

On that note, I agree with nonesuchgirl. Hopefully you'll be able to come to terms with the fact that not everyone in life is going to love you, subsequently you're probably going to have to deal with this kind of stuff for the rest of your life... no matter what job you hold.

Options:

A) Get over it, keep working there

B) Don't get over it, quit. Get another job and realize you're going to be facing the same issues. Then proceed to option C

C) Quit your job, become a hermit who only associates with ferrets and close family.

The fact is that a lot of people (mainly superiors) are going to release some aggression on other people, sometimes that person is you. Sucks :(

8. ilovetoshop

it seems like you really love your job --why let some douche bag ruin it for you?

you can't always let other ppl push around.

just make sure you do everything to the best of your ability so he has nothing to bug you about.
    if that still doesn't work, confront him or ignore him, but i def. think this is not something worth quitting over!

9. Ooch

Pre-Medical
    We are in eerily similar situations. I have a little advice, but mostly empathy. I'm at the end of my year now, about to spend a summer doing some thing I LOVE and going to an awesome med school - but this past year freaking blew. Looking back on it, the experiences with the physicians and the patients probably will make the misery with the manager worth it. In any event, it's likely to be good practice for the bs of 3rd year. May as well sharpen those sycophantic skills now while you're just being judged, but not graded.

10. caseofthemndays

Resident [Any Field]
    Thanks for all the replies.
    No, there is no HR. It's a pretty small clinic. This guy is office manager, HR, accountant...

11. dArroway

dArroway Gettin' my hood on

Pre-Medical
    [​IMG]