Dental What should I do after an unexpected low DAT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I wanted some advice on what I should do as I’ve already applied to 9 schools and had a bad DAT today.

Here are my stats:
Undergrad: 3.26 cumulative, 3.1 science
Graduate: MS Biology 3.83

I am an IL resident. Have classes in the fall to complete my masters so I’m not sure when I can squeeze in a retake without risking my graduate gpa. What do I do to the schools I applied to, and when is the last date I can take the exam again and still be considered. Was told that my graduate gpa should help, but with this low of a TS score I’m very skeptical. Any schools or any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Yep, you had a bad day. I would plan to retake after your 90 day window opens up again to get a higher AA and TS (got to be closer to at least 20, especially if you are in a master's postbac program). Your grad GPA helps only if your DAT score affirms that you have the ability to answer tough high-stakes science-based questions such as the ones you'll get later on in boards. Every school should note in their entries in the Official Guide/Dental School Explorer the latest DAT date they can accept for the appropriate incoming class.

Sure, I think you would have a complete outside chance with your in-state option, but those low science scores are going to hold you back.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I can only imagine how you feel but I would say that you should put your efforts into reapplying next cycle. August is already getting a little late in the cycle, and the earliest you could retake would be November 6th, which I think would be extremely late and not worth it, since so many applicants get their apps in June-August (I would probably even say the majority). Your graduate GPA, while high, may look inflated to schools since the DAT is the equalizer and you did not perform well on it. Definitely do not risk your Master's GPA to retake it in Nov. It seems like you will be finishing the Masters in the fall, so plan to retake your DAT sometime next spring, before the cycle opens. That way, you can plan for another retake in June/July, worst case scenario (hopefully not!). As for the schools you have already applied to, perhaps see if you can withdraw your application from consideration? I would maybe look into this more if it could mean that they wouldn't consider you a reapplicant next year (but I'm not entirely sure)? I'm sorry today turned out the way it did, but keep your head up! Remain dedicated and continue persevering! Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.