Medical What should I do after graduation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoSpursGo

SDN Chief Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody, I'm a senior who's graduating in 20 days. I am currently going crazy because i don't know what I'm going to do after grad..... ;'(

[Stats]

cGPA = 3.51

sGPA = 3.24 (roughly)

MCAT - did not take yet but have one scheduled for 5/20 (depending on my decision, i may cancel)

GPA trend

4.0 -> 3.7 -> 3.33 -> 3.35 -> 3.83 (summer) -> 3.41 -> 2.97 (c0vid sem) -> 4.0 (summer 20) -> 3.71 -> 3.40

My GPA is tanked because I never dropped any of the courses and ended up receiving C+ for anatomy, orgo2, and biochemistry. I understand that my GPA is extremely low..

So I am very conflicted in applying this cycle or applying next cycle. Some people told me that I may have a chance at getting into DO schools and that it would not hurt to apply. I am also considering applying to Rutgers medical scholars program (and take GRE) or any other masters programs due to my low GPA.

What do you guys think I should do? Do I have a chance in applying? If applying is a better option, what MCAT score do you think I need? If applying next cycle is the better option, should I do DIY postbacc or master's program?

My plan was to take GRE next month, apply to masters .... then push MCAT to july... apply to DO schools only. If i don't get in, then reapply with better MCAT score next year to MD and DO schools.

Thoughts?
Your GPA is low, and the downward trend is bad. It's not completely impossible that you could get into a DO school, but I think it's unlikely.

I also think it would be a bad idea to apply directly to an SMP without some idea that you have fixed whatever your problems are that led you to getting a 3.4 last semester. You need to be acing your classes before you go for an SMP, as if you do anything other than ace the SMP you're screwed.

DIY post-bacc and apply next year, IMO.

Members don't see this ad.

You MAY have a shot at DO if you do decent on your MCAT and you have solid ECs. My advice would be to crush a year of DIY post-bac courses, crush your MCAT, make sure your ECs are up to par, and apply next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.