what should i do after my first year of medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

daact

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
besides research...should i prepare for my boards over the summer after first year???

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

lay back, enjoy the sunshine, and dont be afraid to spark up a doob every once in a while.

oh yeah, enjoy your other hobbies if you have em.

Don't study for boards. I tried to do that, but it lasted about a day. You won't remember anything you study during the summertime anyway.

Relax and have fun, since it is the last time you will get a whole summer vacation :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
daact said:
besides research...should i prepare for my boards over the summer after first year???

thanks

no

I'll go against the grain on this one, only because I have a hard time learning things and I'm not naturally smart like most people in my class who see or hear things once and learn it. I need massive amounts of repitition. So in my summer between 1st and 2nd year I reviewed the subjects I thought I didn't really learn well during first year. I also did pathology research doing autopsies so everyday I'd get pimped on path by the residents and my attending PI. One of the residents recommend for me to listen to goljan audio so I wouldn't be so clueless when pimped. I started listening to his audio while working out and by the time summer was over I'd listen to his audio about 3 times and learned alot of path from his audio and my autopsy research. So if you really want to be productive this summer without spending time actually sitting down studying, pic up goljan audio and just start listening to him while working out, doing laundry, cleaning your room, or driving.

dude, just go relax. i did the research thing and while it was interesting and i got good results, it wasn't worth it. it's the *last* summer you're going to have off, so enjoy it. go abroad, take a class you always wanted to but didn't have time for, go sow wild oats, or play on the xbox all day, get all that out of your system so when 2nd year comes around you can kick some ass. and don't even think about studying for 2nd year classes in the summer, i guarantee it won't pay off.

Long Dong said:
I'll go against the grain on this one, only because I have a hard time learning things and I'm not naturally smart like most people in my class who see or hear things once and learn it. I need massive amounts of repitition. So in my summer between 1st and 2nd year I reviewed the subjects I thought I didn't really learn well during first year. I also did pathology research doing autopsies so everyday I'd get pimped on path by the residents and my attending PI. One of the residents recommend for me to listen to goljan audio so I wouldn't be so clueless when pimped. I started listening to his audio while working out and by the time summer was over I'd listen to his audio about 3 times and learned alot of path from his audio and my autopsy research. So if you really want to be productive this summer without spending time actually sitting down studying, pic up goljan audio and just start listening to him while working out, doing laundry, cleaning your room, or driving.