What should I do? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medapp3

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear SDNers,

I figured Id just lay out my application situation and ask for any advice you might have. This post is really long, sorry.

My stats-
MCAT: 34Q (12V, 12 Bio, 10 P)

Grades: Cumulative GPA - 3.1 on transcript (from a fairly prominent university) yet slightly below 3.0 on AMCAS app b/c of repeated courses.
My science GPA is well below 3.0 on both.

Activities/ Research/ Volunteering: Pretty solid all around

I applied only to MD Programs, and as of right now, I have no interview invites. My application is still active at only a small number of schools (one of which is my top choice and claims to be still seriously considering my app, yet I doubt that my actual chances of an interview there are more than ~5%).

My goals- Become an allopathic physician, and practice rurally in the US

So, I need some advice as to what should I do
Right now, I see my options as

1- Post Bacc Program
2- Carribean Med School
3- Work then re-apply to DO/ Dental schools

Post-bacc programs clearly see to be the best option- yet Ive already noticed that most SMP's use the same calculating procedures as AMCAS, resulting in me being ineligible for admission b/c of my sub 3.0 AMCAS GPA...

Post baccs that are not SMP's are frustrating to sift through because there are so many of them and their abilities to get me into an MD program are unclear to me.

So, then that leaves Carribean schools, of which the only one Id want to apply is SGU. Im pretty sure Ill rock the USMLEs cause Im a good test taker, but I dont want to risk residency stuff...
*(I know I probably should have applied to DO schools as many have suggested, especially since I just want to become a gen. prac., but I didnt when I had the chance so oh well)

If you guys have any advice for me, or know of any post baccs that have been successful for those with high MCATs but sub 3.0 cum GPA's, or anything, Id really, really appreciate it.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Dear SDNers,

I figured Id just lay out my application situation and ask for any advice you might have. This post is really long, sorry.

My stats-
MCAT: 34Q (12V, 12 Bio, 10 P)

Grades: Cumulative GPA - 3.1 on transcript (from a fairly prominent university) yet slightly below 3.0 on AMCAS app b/c of repeated courses.
My science GPA is well below 3.0 on both.

Activities/ Research/ Volunteering: Pretty solid all around

I applied only to MD Programs, and as of right now, I have no interview invites. My application is still active at only a small number of schools (one of which is my top choice and claims to be still seriously considering my app, yet I doubt that my actual chances of an interview there are more than ~5%).

My goals- Become an allopathic physician, and practice rurally in the US

So, I need some advice as to what should I do
Right now, I see my options as

1- Post Bacc Program
2- Carribean Med School
3- Work then re-apply to DO/ Dental schools

Post-bacc programs clearly see to be the best option- yet Ive already noticed that most SMP's use the same calculating procedures as AMCAS, resulting in me being ineligible for admission b/c of my sub 3.0 AMCAS GPA...

Post baccs that are not SMP's are frustrating to sift through because there are so many of them and their abilities to get me into an MD program are unclear to me.

So, then that leaves Carribean schools, of which the only one Id want to apply is SGU. Im pretty sure Ill rock the USMLEs cause Im a good test taker, but I dont want to risk residency stuff...
*(I know I probably should have applied to DO schools as many have suggested, especially since I just want to become a gen. prac., but I didnt when I had the chance so oh well)

If you guys have any advice for me, or know of any post baccs that have been successful for those with high MCATs but sub 3.0 cum GPA's, or anything, Id really, really appreciate it.

Thanks

Carribbean it is! You may as well save time and money by going down to the Carribbeans since you don't plan on going into academic research and since your a good test-takers, you'll likely rock the USMLE

what about just taking science classes at your state school until you have a 3.5?

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a double post from the non-trad forum...

If you truly want to do rural primary care than you should apply to DO schools. Deadlines have passed however, so you'll be able to do that next cycle. Without a rather large time investment, US MD is out of the question.

Nice MCAT dude. But I'm curious how you could let your GPA slip so low. Your obviously a pretty intelligent person to score a 34Q.