What should I do at this point?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wt009

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, everyone. I'm a freshman in college right now. I have no idea what to do this summer that would benefit me in getting a spot in a med school. What is EMT and ED? THank you very much for responding!

Members don't see this ad.

wt009 said:
Hi, everyone. I'm a freshman in college right now. I have no idea what to do this summer that would benefit me in getting a spot in a med school. What is EMT and ED? THank you very much for responding!

Emergency Medical Technician and Emergency Department, respectively.

I suggest volunteering or shadowing a physician. Its probably too early for you to do lab research (do this after a few more bio and chem courses).

You never know. Ask around. I found a decent research position in a neuro lab. Of course, only after a couple rejections.

To become an EMT is going to take most of the summer for classes. The ride alongs or shadowing on an ambulance is good experience. To become an ED tech, you typically need an EMT-B certification and IV Therapy. On top of all this, getting a job on an Ambulance is not always easy and many hopsital's require experience to get the job as an ED Tech. I will say from experience that both jobs are great for learning medical... EVERYTHING, from trauma to minor care you learn a lot. I agree with OctoDoc, shadowing with doctors or others is really good experience and is going to give you a GREAT idea of what you are getting yourself into! Also volunteering with a hospital is a great way to get good volunteer time in, learn more about the clinical setting, and is a good way to get a job in the hospital.