What Should I do: DIY Post-Bacc or Masters at COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jedi silva

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All, I've been lurking this site for what seems like forever and I'm very interested in becoming a doctor. That said I'm without a doubt an underdog that is also a non-traditional

Anyways here are my stats:

BS in computer engineering in 2004
MS in computer science in 2008
8 years work experience as an embedded software engineer

undergrad gpa: 2.88
Grad GPA : 3.38 (all computer science classes, no hard science)
Science GPA : 3.6 (includes chem 1/2, Phys 1/2/3, Orgo 1/2. Remains a 3.6 with or without engineering courses. Have not taken biology)

No MCAT

I have 4 F's on my transcript from my freshman and sophmore years and replacing them with A's would bring my GPA up to a 3.06. My question is whether or not a 3.06 cGPA is enough to even get an interview? And if not should I just take more upper level science courses while replacing some classes I got C's in? Or would I just be better off with taking a shot at a Biomedical Sciences Masters Program to go DO.

Also if it's not apparent my non-science gpa is a meager 2.78. I just didn't give a crap about them during my freshman and sophomore years. I was just so much more interested in my science and engineering courses that I never bothered to concentrate on my core non-science courses. It just sucks that I have to share a transcript with the 18/19 old version of myself :(

Anyways what should I do

Members don't see this ad.

Hey All, I've been lurking this site for what seems like forever and I'm very interested in becoming a doctor. That said I'm without a doubt an underdog that is also a non-traditional

Science GPA : 3.6 (includes chem 1/2, Phys 1/2/3, Orgo 1/2. Remains a 3.6 with or without engineering courses. Have not taken biology)

No MCAT

I have 4 F's on my transcript from my freshman and sophmore years and replacing them with A's would bring my GPA up to a 3.06. My question is whether or not a 3.06 cGPA is enough to even get an interview? And if not should I just take more upper level science courses while replacing some classes I got C's in? Or would I just be better off with taking a shot at a Biomedical Sciences Masters Program to go DO.

Also if it's not apparent my non-science gpa is a meager 2.78. I just didn't give a crap about them during my freshman and sophomore years. I was just so much more interested in my science and engineering courses that I never bothered to concentrate on my core non-science courses. It just sucks that I have to share a transcript with the 18/19 old version of myself :(

Anyways what should I do

With a solid MCAT (30+) and bringing your GPA above 3.0, along with a strong science GPA, you should have a good opportunity at an Osteopathic school. Medical volunteering and research will further increase your chances.

Your main priorities are GPA repair and MCAT. As of now since your GPA is below 3.0 you need to fix that. I applied to DO schools with a sub 3.0 sGPA and I received 2 secondaries. After I got my science gpa to 3.1 with grade replacement I was just fine. You neeeeeed to get it above the 3.0. Just study MCAT and replace those F's, that should be your main priority.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the response guys.

With a solid MCAT (30+) and bringing your GPA above 3.0, along with a strong science GPA, you should have a good opportunity at an Osteopathic school. Medical volunteering and research will further increase your chances.

Is there a certain amount of medical volunteer hours I should at least shoot for?

Your main priorities are GPA repair and MCAT. As of now since your GPA is below 3.0 you need to fix that. I applied to DO schools with a sub 3.0 sGPA and I received 2 secondaries. After I got my science gpa to 3.1 with grade replacement I was just fine. You neeeeeed to get it above the 3.0. Just study MCAT and replace those F's, that should be your main priority.

duly noted. I'm definitely going to do what I can to get the cGPA above 3.0 no matter what. I just wonder how realistic it is t apply to D.O. school with only a 3.06 cGPA

Also congrats on your acceptances (saw your post in the underdog thread).

If you score well on your MCAT you will have some options I would bet. The trick for you will be to apply broadly not just geographically but also based upon types of DO schools (missions, types of students admissions likes, student type: older, married, whatever). If you play the game right you should have a good shot.

Doing a Masters or Post-Bacc could help. It just depends on the program and if you have the financial resources to make it happen. If you don't think you could ROCK the masters or post-bacc don't do it, just retake classes.

Don't dwell on your past grades that were mistakes. As long as you can prove your trend (get as far above that 3 gpa as possible) and show you are well-rounded and have grown some DO school should bite.

In terms of volunteer hours, don't worry about a specific number. Do something you enjoy and commit to it. Hundreds vs thousands of hours means less you might think as a determining factor. Be committed to it and it will be more enjoyable and much easier to show your interest to the admissions. Also, be sure to get some form of clinical AND shadowing experience

Do the master's program at the COM. If you can do well there, it's an automatic in. Well, it usually is an automatic interview invite...it's up to you to do well at the interview!

No MCAT

Anyways what should I do

Do the master's program at the COM. If you can do well there, it's an automatic in. Well, it usually is an automatic interview invite...it's up to you to do well at the interview!

It can also be an automatic death sentence if he doesn't do extremely well especially with his already low undergrad GPA. Those things are also an extra 40k in loans. Retaking the F's with A's will boost him way above the 3.0 mark and give him plenty of time to study for the MCAT.

It can also be an automatic death sentence if he doesn't do extremely well especially with his already low undergrad GPA. Those things are also an extra 40k in loans. Retaking the F's with A's will boost him way above the 3.0 mark and give him plenty of time to study for the MCAT.

Agree with you on this one.

If one can raise the ugGPA, then post-bacc should be first priority. However, in the scenario that ugGPA cannot be increased significantly, then both GPAs should first be raised above a 3.0. Then afterward one should do the SMP.

Agree. Diy is a better option.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Get a 30+ MCAT, bring your GPAs above a 3.0, and apply early and really broadly (like to almost every DO school) and you'll get interviews. No point in spending the money on a masters at a COM unless there is one you have your heart set on and you have the $40k to burn.