What should I do during my "gap year?"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheJourney

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not applying to medical school during the end of my junior year. I'm going to apply during the end of my senior year so I'll have a year after I graduate before I start hearing from medical schools and such. I'm not sure if they call it a gap year or a bridge year, what's a productive thing to do during that year? Is there anything I can do that can increase my chances of getting accepted? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Do something that your application is lacking. Don't have much research experience? Try to get a research job. Don't have much volunteer experience? Volunteer a lot. Not much clinical experience? find some doctors to shadow. It really all depends on what you have done so far.

Have fun!! Med school is gonna be tough. Enjoy your time while you have it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd recommend a combination of the two above posts. I think travelling or taking time off for yourself is super important since you'll be very busy for many years to come, but definitely use the opportunity to improve your application without having to worry about classes and grades!

Considering we don't know anything about your application, it would be incredibly difficult to advise you.