What should I do during the summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wiesal

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to take general chemistry 1 (lecture + lab) and work as a medical assistant 8 hours a week this summer. What are some other productive (beneficial to my application) things I should do?

Members don't see this ad.

Taking a chemistry class over the summer is pretty intensive, but if you are able to manage, I would also volunteer, preferably at your hospital for non-paid clinical activity.
Also, usually gen chem 1 in the summer lasts like 1 month, right? If you're not financially strained, I'd take Gen chem 2 as well to get it out of the way, and start Ochem in the Fall - your schedule becomes neater (if you're a full time student)

Taking a chemistry class over the summer is pretty intensive, but if you are able to manage, I would also volunteer, preferably at your hospital for non-paid clinical activity.
Also, usually gen chem 1 in the summer lasts like 1 month, right? If you're not financially strained, I'd take Gen chem 2 as well to get it out of the way, and start Ochem in the Fall - your schedule becomes neater (if you're a full time student)
Thanks for the advice. My summer course will actually last about two months, so I don't have the option of taking general chemistry 2.

I actually already volunteer in a hospital too. Maybe if I can handle all I'm doing now, I should consider non-clinical volunteering (tutoring) or shadowing as well? What do you think?

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually already volunteer in a hospital too. Maybe if I can handle all I'm doing now, I should consider non-clinical volunteering (tutoring) or shadowing as well? What do you think?

Non-clinical volunteering that can show service to the disadvantaged would be important to start if you haven't done so already. Tutoring is helpful in a way, but things along the lines of community involvement and caring for the poor would also be extremely beneficial. Shadowing is almost important to get under your belt so that you can convince AdComs that you know what you're getting into. I believe the magic number of shadowing hours is roughly 40-50 hours overall, and if you can get it in a variety of clinical settings, especially primary care, that would be preferred. Adding those kinds of experiences to your application before submission would, at least, not be detrimental, and at best will be very helpful for improving your admissions chances.

Reactions: 1 user
Utilize your summers to increase the number of your EC's.

Reactions: 1 user
Non-clinical volunteering that can show service to the disadvantaged would be important to start if you haven't done so already. Tutoring is helpful in a way, but things along the lines of community involvement and caring for the poor would also be extremely beneficial. Shadowing is almost important to get under your belt so that you can convince AdComs that you know what you're getting into. I believe the magic number of shadowing hours is roughly 40-50 hours overall, and if you can get it in a variety of clinical settings, especially primary care, that would be preferred. Adding those kinds of experiences to your application before submission would, at least, not be detrimental, and at best will be very helpful for improving your admissions chances.
I'm hoping to tutor students in socioeconomically disadvantaged area, especially for math. I'm not sure if organizations who do this can be easily found, though.

Do you think shadowing during my freshmen year is less valuable than as a junior/senior (my experience would be less "fresh")?

Excel in something that you enjoy, something that makes you unique. Find a way to stand out from literally every single other applicant that will also have research, clinical/non-clinical volunteering, shadowing, and pre-reqs completed.

Maybe give us a list of some of your hobbies, interests, and what you like to do in your free time?
My hobbies are fishing, video games, enjoying natural scenery, but that's probably not pertinent to anything.
I'm really interested in tutoring. I love mathematics and would like to help others succeed in this subject. Math is often seen as the student's roadblock; I would think this is especially true in socioeconomically disadvantaged areas where students may be less interested in academics in general. So I'd like to contribute to indigent communities by helping younger students perform well in school and maybe realize their academic/professional passions.