What should I do if i dont get accepted ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kobebucsfan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just graduated and I'm on the waitlist for one school, my only hope.

If i dont get in, im gonna apply again in June and retake my DAT also. Other than that, should I take some upper level courses or do a Masters ?

I'm thinking about taking upper level classes but I dont know how much it will increase my GPA since I already graduated with lots of science courses taken.

GPA: 3.45
DAT: 18/18

Members don't see this ad.

With a 3.4, you don't need a Master.

Keep volunteering + shadowing.
Taking classes and get all As. It will give u an upward trend.
Do research. Get some awards. Get some leadership experiences.
Retake your DAT if you dont get in. Aim for 20+

Members don't see this ad :)

If i dont get in, im gonna apply again in June and retake my DAT also. Other than that, should I take some upper level courses or do a Masters ?

I'm thinking about taking upper level classes but I dont know how much it will increase my GPA since I already graduated with lots of science courses taken.

I wouldn't go into a master program. That will just be a waste of time and money if you do well on your DAT. What you should do is get a decent job in the meantime (I know, easier said than done) and apply early (like you said). I would also continue your EC's and shadowing to show the adcoms this is what you want to do. If you wanted to, you could also expand your shadowing to other avenues, such as oral surgery etc. I was able to get in with my local VA and see how that was run, and therefore was able to talk about it on my app and even PS. Are you near a DS at all? I had the ability to be part of a clinical observation program with my local DS, so if you have one nearby you could always look into that as well. (That is if all this has not already been done)
Other than that, good luck.

P.S. I was wait listed twice and 3rd time got in. So don't feel bad about being wait listed.

Retake the DAT. What is your science and BCP GPA? That could be the other problem.

BCP - 3.02
SciGPA - 3.25

my overall is going to be 3.50 once spring 2012 grades get posted.

I think if you get your dat up to a 21-22ish aa/ts u could potentially stand a chance with some private schools, if the rest of ur app is in good shape and if u did well the past year in what im assuming were upper level bios if u were a senior.
If the rest of ur app isnt strong and u didnt get As in ur recent sciences id do a 1 yr masters program but still reapply this june and just academic update.
Id tell u to postbacc but u said uve already taken alot of upper level bios.

I posted this topic b/c I am going to be preparing for DAT and the new cycle right now. Still continuing my volunteer/shadowing/ECs. I was just wondering if i should still do a 1 year Masters or take some bio classes to raise my GPA. I dont want to be idle, i want to still stay in school to show my motivation

Kobe, if you want to apply this summer, prioritize well. If I were in your shoes, I would do the following:

1) Study 2 solid months for the DAT. Forget personal life, forget it all. Just nail that sucker like it owes you money. Get at the very least 19s, 20s and higher.

2) Submit your app prior to June 10th.

3) Sign up for 3 upper level sci classes as postbac and write these courses in your AADSAS app so they can see you're making your app better.

4) Save $ for more interviews this cycle.

You'll have the upper hand this time compared to n00bs who are applying 1st time around cause you've already been to dental school interviews.

1) Get a full-time job. Make/save some money and get real world work experience. Dental schools like this.

2) Retake your DAT. Aim for 20s.

3) Do some shadowing and volunteering when you have free time.