What should I do in my first year to prepare for boards?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pitbullfriend

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just started my first year and I want to take my classes with my boards always in mind.

Are there things I should do that will help me later on?
Are there things that you wish you had done in your first year (studying wise) now that you are studying for Step 1?

I want to have a good plan of attack. I appreciate any help. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Learn your course material well. Specific advice will depend a lot on your curriculum. (the people ahead of you at your school are the best source of information) Maybe do one subject specific review book along with your class notes for stuff like biochem. That's about it for stuff to do during first year.

Read Rapid Review Biochem and BRS physio during those respective classes. I didn't do this but I wish I had. This is not so much for board prep per se but it will help you immensely for those classes. Other than that just learn the class material.

Read Rapid Review Biochem and BRS physio during those respective classes. I didn't do this but I wish I had. This is not so much for board prep per se but it will help you immensely for those classes. Other than that just learn the class material.

It'll help you for the Shelf exams but at my school using RR Biochem was useless for the class, which is largely rote memorization.