What should I do, Just started my Biology major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Poliscidoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So I have looked around the forums and I really can't find an answer to my many questions (Sorry in advance).

So I am a current junior in college and originally I was a Political Science and Business Administration double major. But I have since changed my Business major to Biology.

I played college football for two years and while playing I didn't get the best grades and I only took 12 hours a semester. I am volunteering at a Hospital currently and I will continue when school starts back. I am studying abroad for a year starting in Feb. I am taking 23 credit hours this coming semester, and I took 18 this summer.

I have planned out all the courses I need for graduation and to fulfill the requirements for medical school. I plan on taking the MCAT in 2011. And applying to med school in 2011 as well and starting in 2013. Is this what I should be doing?

But my question is, "is it to late to start" I feel as if I am behind because of switching majors and playing football and I don’t know if my chances will be hurt getting into medical school. I should end up graduating in 2012 (1 year behind schedule) with 2 Majors (Political Science and Biology) 1 Concentration (Ecology) and 2 minors (Pre-Professional Studies and Business Administrations).

So any advice would be helpful. I have read through the MSAR for 2010-2011 (it sucked) so I know the basics.

Also I didn’t know if playing football would appear on an application as time consuming as it really is.

In terms of your career, if you ultimately become a physician, you're undergraduate degrees will mean next to nothing from what I know. Honestly, the only thing that matters is if you completed your prereqs and if you enjoyed your time in undergrad. Judging by your experiences, you did. Don't worry about being 1 year "off schedule." A good many of your entering classmates will be "on schedule" but realize that a good portion of your classmates will have either: taken a year off to apply, get a masters, get a PhD, or do a SMP. Further, there are even a good number of people that are changing professions. When you get to medical school, the difference in maturity between 22 and 23 isn't a whole lot. Honestly at this point, I would put the "track/scheduling" worries and put it in the back seat. When it comes to admissions there plenty of other things to worry about: grades, MCAT scores, which/where to apply, etc. You're better off considering if you want schools to wait for your MCAT scores (do schools still have to wait? I'm not sure, I took it back when they only offered it in April and August) and how it will affect your applications or applying early.

I plan on taking the MCAT in 2011. And applying to med school in 2011 as well and starting in 2013. Is this what I should be doing?

Forgot to add: this, in my opinion, is probably your best course of action. (I'm reading this to understand that you'll already have your MCAT scores when you submit your primary in which you'll have all the pertinent information to decide on where to apply.)

Members don't see this ad :)
When you get to medical school, the difference in maturity between 22 and 23 isn't a whole lot.

It completely depends on what you've done between those ages. A lot can happen in a year.

I have planned out all the courses I need for graduation and to fulfill the requirements for medical school. I plan on taking the MCAT in 2011. And applying to med school in 2011 as well and starting in 2013. Is this what I should be doing?

But my question is, "is it to late to start" I feel as if I am behind because of switching majors and playing football and I don’t know if my chances will be hurt getting into medical school. I should end up graduating in 2012 (1 year behind schedule) with 2 Majors (Political Science and Biology) 1 Concentration (Ecology) and 2 minors (Pre-Professional Studies and Business Administrations).

If you apply for medical school in 2011, you will be applying for admission to the starting class of 2012. Unless you plan to defer (in which case, why not wait another year to apply?), you'll start in Fall 2012, not 2013.

You're not behind. I graduated in three years, applied during my last year and got rejected everywhere I applied. I took a year to get my stuff together and am now reapplying, so if I get in this cycle, I'll have two 'gap years' between college and med school. There are plenty of people that come in from second careers, and many who take at least one year off... I know at least two people I graduated from high school with are applying this cycle, taking a gap year during the application process. One of my friends in medical school now actually got a college degree like 10 years ago, but went back to college for at least two years to complete his pre-reqs for med school. He's getting ready to start MS2 and has joined the Navy.

In terms of your career, if you ultimately become a physician, you're undergraduate degrees will mean next to nothing from what I know. Honestly, the only thing that matters is if you completed your prereqs and if you enjoyed your time in undergrad. Judging by your experiences, you did. Don't worry about being 1 year "off schedule." A good many of your entering classmates will be "on schedule" but realize that a good portion of your classmates will have either: taken a year off to apply, get a masters, get a PhD, or do a SMP. Further, there are even a good number of people that are changing professions. When you get to medical school, the difference in maturity between 22 and 23 isn't a whole lot. Honestly at this point, I would put the "track/scheduling" worries and put it in the back seat. When it comes to admissions there plenty of other things to worry about: grades, MCAT scores, which/where to apply, etc. You're better off considering if you want schools to wait for your MCAT scores (do schools still have to wait? I'm not sure, I took it back when they only offered it in April and August) and how it will affect your applications or applying early.

The plan is that I will take the MCAT following my first "senior year" (around the first of June 2011) and then will start applying to Medical School after my scores have been released. I will still have a half-year or a full (depending on scheduling) to finish a few classes. Is this the time frame I should be shooting for?

Timeline of event
May/June 2011- Take MCAT
July- Apply to Medical Schools
Jan or May 2012- Finish Undergrad
Aug 2012- Start Medical School

The plan is that I will take the MCAT following my first "senior year" (around the first of June 2011) and then will start applying to Medical School after my scores have been released. I will still have a half-year or a full (depending on scheduling) to finish a few classes. Is this the time frame I should be shooting for?

Timeline of event
May/June 2011- Take MCAT
July- Apply to Medical Schools
Jan or May 2012- Finish Undergrad
Aug 2012- Start Medical School

that's up to you. If you feel you wouldn't be ready to take the MCAT until having a summer to study for it, there's nothing wrong with taking MCAT in august, and applying next year. If you feel comfortable with that schedule, stick to that schedule