Medical What should I do - Medical school, Masters, or 2nd BS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am hoping I can gather some advice and suggestions from you all. I graduated University in 2012 with a Bachelors of Science in Biology (minor forensic science). My dream job is a forensic pathologist (medical examiner). I know it's going to take some time to get there, but I'm up for the challenge. I graduated with about a 2.9GPA, which I know isn't great, and not to get into medical school right away certainly. Also, I know it's been 8 years since I was in school, my career path took a different direction, I started a family, and now I want to get back on track. I'm very unhappy with my career at the moment, and I want to do what I love.
I'm looking at various options, forensics, in general, is a huge interest of mine, so I'm looking at master's programs within the forensics field. I've looked into Medical School, Saint James School of Medicine in particular, because they seemed like the most doable option. I've also entertained the idea of going for a 2nd BS to get a better GPA to be able to attend a medical school in the US. I want to know your suggestions. Which route I should take, or if there are others that would suite me best.
Anything at all will help!

Thanks!
Don't even think of going to the Carib! That sound you hear off in the distance is SGU smacking their lips at the thought of yet another desperate mark to be preyed upon.

Read this:

Members don't see this ad.

That's what seems to be the consensus, stay away from the Carib!
Goro - reading your advice on that link, I think a post-bacc or SMP is the way to go. I'm so out of date with my studies - I took a practice MCAT and failed to remember most things! I need to get back in the game. I'm hoping going one of those routes will bring my GPA up and show I have the determination to go through with this!
1) Don't go carib

2) Don't do a 2nd BS as you have so many credits from the first (assuming avg 120 credits), meaning that a whole other 120 credit degree at 4.0 will still average you to only a 3.45, give or take, which is still a little on the lower side. This will be a waste of time and money and come with no guarantee.

3) You need an SMP, preferably with linkage.

Yeah, do an SMP at a program that has a medical school. You will take courses alongside medical students and basically need to ace your courses to prove you can crack it in medical school. Even with the SMP you need to crush the MCAT and get your ECs up to par.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the advice above. If you want to go to medical school, you essentially have two options from my perspective:

1. Study hard for the MCAT and do well, then do a special masters program, absolutely smash it, and hope the linkage pays off.

2. Do a post-baccalaureate program (or a self-made one) to re-do your science pre-requisites and prove you can handle the rigor of medical school. If you get all A's or close to it, you may greatly improve your chances. If you apply to DO and MD schools in this case, you'll be in a much better spot.

I would also recommend avoiding the Caribbean schools. They make it very difficult to get a residency spot, and just getting through is quite difficult because of the poor support offered. The attrition rate is exceedingly high from these schools.

I agree with the advice above. If you want to go to medical school, you essentially have two options from my perspective:

1. Study hard for the MCAT and do well, then do a special masters program, absolutely smash it, and hope the linkage pays off.

2. Do a post-baccalaureate program (or a self-made one) to re-do your science pre-requisites and prove you can handle the rigor of medical school. If you get all A's or close to it, you may greatly improve your chances. If you apply to DO and MD schools in this case, you'll be in a much better spot.

I would also recommend avoiding the Caribbean schools. They make it very difficult to get a residency spot, and just getting through is quite difficult because of the poor support offered. The attrition rate is exceedingly high from these schools.

Adding to this, with the new P/F grading system of the USMLE (board exams), there is no way for you to "prove yourself" coming from the Caribbean. Right now, students can score super high (250+, ~85%tile) and get a residency spot because they prove themselves with the score. However, USMLE is going to P/F, so there is no way to do this now outside of letters of rec, auditions, and research (all of which are hard to get at Caribbean schools).

Status
Not open for further replies.