What should I do next semester?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bubblewrap777

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK I am new so don't be to mean to me :)

Next semester is my last semester, this one was almost my last one but I could not fit this one last class in. :mad:

So I don't want my last semester to look bad to med schools if I only took one class.

BTW.

I do work at a hospital (have been for 5 years) 24 hours/week
~ I am on the employee advisory council
~ and the activities committee

I also volenteer at another hospital 4+ hours/week (for little more than 1 year)

GPA is in the 3.7 range

Married (no kids)

This summer I am doing tons of MCAT prep work

........sorry for the rant, I just thought you should know some of my background

So the question is.... What should I do next semester in addition to my work and volenteer positions?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Not trying to be smart alec-ey, but is there anything you've wanted to do for a while but haven't? Really anything, maybe even something for fun.

This may not answer your question, but then again it might.

Not trying to be smart alec-ey, but is there anything you've wanted to do for a while but haven't? Really anything, maybe even something for fun.

This may not answer your question, but then again it might.

I agree with this poster, take one more class in a topic that you're truely interested in and will be fun for you, and call it a day. Med schools aren't really going to read that into one last semester.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would like to take a class for fun, but I dont want to have to pay the higher fees for taking more than 6 units, and my last class is 4 units.

At my school you pay a much lower amount for taking less than 6 units and then the full amount for anything more does not matter if you take 7 or 21 units.

Oh yeah

Do I look competive right now....granted no MCAT score yet?
meaning EC and GPA?

I would like to take a class for fun, but I dont want to have to pay the higher fees for taking more than 6 units, and my last class is 4 units.

At my school you pay a much lower amount for taking less than 6 units and then the full amount for anything more does not matter if you take 7 or 21 units.

Oh yeah

Do I look competive right now....granted no MCAT score yet?
meaning EC and GPA?

Hmm, in that case maybe keep up with the EC's/volunteer/work and such and just take that once class. Med Schools totally understand that sometimes you can't do certain things for financial reasons. And yes, you do look competitve... Good luck!

do some research with a prof ... see if you can get a stipend from his or her grant to make some $$

research will only boost your application

I agree....research is great experience. On the other hand, it may be tough to coordinate the time expected for two hours of credit with your other commitments.

I took a medical terminology course to fill my schedule during one of my lighter semesters. It was actually a Classics course, but was only two hours and has been really beneficial from a reading/comprehension standpoint. You might look into something like that?!

If none of this works out, though, I wouldn't stress it. You've obviously dedicated a lot of time and effort to making yourself a qualified candidate. One thing I've learned in my interviews...as long as you have a reasonable answer for your decisions up to this point, they are willing to give you the benefit of the doubt. :)