futureMD4294

2+ Year Member
Dec 23, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
So I definitely messed up. I graduated this May from UGA and spent 2 months taking summer courses, traveling, and finding a hospital job. I landed a position in the OR! Now I am taking my MCAT on September 10th and applying to only Osteopathic schools. This gives me ONLY 6 WEEKS of MCAT prep from today. I have access to Kaplan material/ resources, EK book set, Khan, and some AAMC material. How should I schedule these 6 weeks? Should I only focus on one book set?? I know this MCAT prep is going to be like a full time job with over time, but I want to give it a shot this cycle. Worst case scenario, I just retake my MCAT next year and accept 2 gap years.

ANY ADVISE/ STUDY STRATEGY FOR THESE 6 WEEKS WOULD BE GREAT! :)
My Stats: Cum GPA: 3.65 , Science: 3.5 , Extra Curricular: Plenty, Med Exposure: plenty

hawthorn9797

2+ Year Member
May 9, 2016
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
So I definitely messed up. I graduated this May from UGA and spent 2 months taking summer courses, traveling, and finding a hospital job. I landed a position in the OR! Now I am taking my MCAT on September 10th and applying to only Osteopathic schools. This gives me ONLY 6 WEEKS of MCAT prep from today. I have access to Kaplan material/ resources, EK book set, Khan, and some AAMC material. How should I schedule these 6 weeks? Should I only focus on one book set?? I know this MCAT prep is going to be like a full time job with over time, but I want to give it a shot this cycle. Worst case scenario, I just retake my MCAT next year and accept 2 gap years.

My Stats: Cum GPA: 3.65 , Science: 3.5 , Extra Curricular: Plenty, Med Exposure: plenty
I would take a practice test per week, saving the AAMC FL fir the last week before you test. In between practice tests I would do the AAMC study bank questions and review khan for the psyc/soc. If your not doing so hot on the last couple of full lengths before your test I would consider waiting. I have read a bad score will hurt you more than postponing

bigindian4891

7+ Year Member
May 20, 2010
Status
Medical Student
The MCAT is one of the biggest tests in your career. There is very little chance you will be able to adequately prepare in 6 weeks, let alone use all the material. You do not want to take the test more than once, only take it when you are ready. If you really want to risk it and go for it, I mirror what the other guy/girl said. Do tests, see where you end up, gauge your progress.

Jun 15, 2016
Status
Medical Student
The MCAT is one of the biggest tests in your career. There is very little chance you will be able to adequately prepare in 6 weeks, let alone use all the material. You do not want to take the test more than once, only take it when you are ready. If you really want to risk it and go for it, I mirror what the other guy/girl said. Do tests, see where you end up, gauge your progress.
This can not be overstated. Taking this ill-prepared can have devastating consequences on your future.

OP
F

futureMD4294

2+ Year Member
Dec 23, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
This can not be overstated. Taking this ill-prepared can have devastating consequences on your future.
But what if I simply don't take the MCAT if Im not ready near the end. I feel like 6 weeks is potentially doable time, and not using it to save a year would be a waste.

AnatomyGrey12

2+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2015
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
But what if I simply don't take the MCAT if Im not ready near the end. I feel like 6 weeks is potentially doable time, and not using it to save a year would be a waste.
Prep 10 hours a day for the next 6 weeks and take a practice test twice a week. Buy a practice test pack from Altius or some other prep company. Take the AAMC scored the week before and if you do not score well then do not take the test. This cannot be stated enough. Do not take it if you are not ready. You can try to be ready but do not take it of you are not ready. There is a reason I said that 3 times, you can kill your career with a bad MCAT take that you rushed just to "save a year." Medical schools aren't going anywhere and DO schools aren't going to get crazy competative in just one year.

OP
F

futureMD4294

2+ Year Member
Dec 23, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Prep 10 hours a day for the next 6 weeks and take a practice test twice a week. Buy a practice test pack from Altius or some other prep company. Take the AAMC scored the week before and if you do not score well then do not take the test. This cannot be stated enough. Do not take it if you are not ready. You can try to be ready but do not take it of you are not ready. There is a reason I said that 3 times, you can kill your career with a bad MCAT take that you rushed just to "save a year." Medical schools aren't going anywhere and DO schools aren't going to get crazy competitive in just one year.
Gotcha. I will def Keep that in mind. Im expecting/hoping to complete content review in 3 weeks. I will spend the last 3 weeks to take a bunch of practice passages and full lengths every week. I will also use EK and Khan to fill in the knowledge I lack in these 3 weeks. This seems easier said that done but lets hope for the best. You have any other suggestions?

hawthorn9797

2+ Year Member
May 9, 2016
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Gotcha. I will def Keep that in mind. Im expecting/hoping to complete content review in 3 weeks. I will spend the last 3 weeks to take a bunch of practice passages and full lengths every week. I will also use EK and Khan to fill in the knowledge I lack in these 3 weeks. This seems easier said that done but lets hope for the best. You have any other suggestions?
Seriously khan for psyc/soc, there were names/terms on my exam that were NOT in Kaplan's books!

AnatomyGrey12

2+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2015
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
I really did like the Altius FLs. I think you can buy a packet and you get 10 of them. They are harder than the real thing I felt like but they are really similar in content covered and delivery. The first three weeks maybe do one FL a week in addition to your content review and afterwards go over every question and review the content from every question even the ones you got right. This is what I did for the month before my exam. I did two FLs every week for that month, all while reviewing high yield topics.

Edit: I also concur with Khan for the psych/soc. Even then prepare to have terms on your test you have never seen before because I'm not sure any source knows how to fully prepare you for it yet, but if you are good at CAR then you can do well on psych/soc because a good number of the questions can be answered just by critically analyzing the term and passage

Reactions: futureMD4294

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
The DO cycle is longer, so you can take the MCAT as late as Oct and still be OK.

But pay very careful attention: Do NOT take a career-deciding, high stakes exam unless you're fully ready for it, even if it means skipping an app cycle. Med schools aren't going anywhere.

Reactions: futureMD4294