What should I do now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Monkey

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, I've tried twice. It hasn't happened. I'm 0-2 with a walk (waitlist) in the admissions game. Here's my question...Should I continue at my lab job that's not particularly exciting or should I take a job offer as a biology teacher at a private high school? I can take more science courses in either place. However, what do you think will do a better job of improving my chances of getting into medical school? In other words, will being a science teacher instead of a scientist hurt my chances? I've thought of going to grad school, but then that's two years I'll have to wait before getting into med school and I don't care about getting a Master's Degree, that's not the goal here. Any suggestions? Anyone with similar experiences? HELP!!

------------------
The Monkey Boy

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think becoming a Biology teacher will hurt your chances at all. Until this year, I was also 0-2 for med school. This year, my wife was a student teacher in Casper, WY. So, I decided to substitute teach in the school district (mainly upper level sciences). KCOM seemed to like the fact that I was doing something outside of the medical sciences. I also took on a coaching position for one of the high school swim teams, I think this helped also. I also know of a few other docs who were teachers before becoming doctors. Good luck, and don't give up and hopefully you will be in Kirksville in 2001.

WYDO:

I guess this is different from state to state but did you have to get a teaching license to sub?

Just wondering because I'm exploring the option of teaching while waiting to get into med school too.

Thanks.

Yer

Members don't see this ad :)
I did not have to get a professional teaching license to teach here in Wyoming. I only had to get a substitute teach license which requires at least 60 college credits, a background check, and 75 bucks. My wife is now also subing and she does have a professional teaching license and makes more each day because of the license. In Wyoming I was not eligible for a professional license because I didn't have a degree in education, and i know this is also different from state to state.

JMD
KCOM Class of 2004

Are you in love with science? Why do you want to be a doctor. The noble reason admissions committees look for is that you want/need to help others. Volunteer at a hospital, work more with the community, Retake the MCAT but this time submerse yourself in it for a few months before the test (I found Hyperlearning materials very helpful).
For me the fourth time was the charm, I had made plans and had made it known that I would become an RN if I couldn't be a doctor. Lastly, consider dentistry, podiatry, and non-US med schools.
Find the joy and peace in helping/working with people; it will sustain you at least as far as your scientific curiosity.
Hmmm, what else... I don't see how science additional science courses will help unless you can guarantee A's (biochem is moving toward prequisite status). Don't give up, I'm told it is a journey... Remember getting in is the hard part, and Good Luck.

monkey boy

what are your stats? im thinking about applying to medical/osteopathic school with a 3.0 overall, 2.48sci, and a 2.9 chiro gpa. I plan on taking post-bacc for a year or two and plan on doing reasonably well on the mcat. no motivation was the problem i had in the past, but now im getting married and know i need to get my life in order.

I saw that you applied twice. I know of people who have had much better stats than mine, and also didn't get in. am i dreaming or do i have a shot at getting in if i have a great mcat and great post bacc grades?

in your case, do what makes you happy. if you are really sick of research, i would go teach. teaching others will definitely help you when you become a doctor, because essentially a doctor is not only a person who helps the sick become better, but also a person who teaches others how they can help themselves.

good luck

GA

I'm subing for a high school health class as I write. Doesn't net access rock. In michigan becoming a sub is similar to the other response. We need 90 credits (junior standing) background check and $25 for a temp. 1 year teaching certificate. Pays good, hours are flexible, and the work is fun. During interviews my subing experience served as interesting antecdotes. It's a good conversation topic. I originaly got into it because I was primarily interested in Pediatrics and I figured elementary school would be a good place to pick up some knowledge and experience with kids. However, as it turns out I sub elementary, jr. high and high school. The later more then the prior, oh well.

I echo the previous post. What were your scores, volunteer, work experiences, etc..? If your dead set on medicine and you don't want to plan a backup( ie grad school) then the best thing to do is to work on what ever your lacking in. Ask the schools that rejected you, "why?" That's a start. After you talk to a few of them you'll have a clear idea of what you need to do for next year. If you need volunteer exp, then taking sci courses or subing is just wasting your time. I got rejected the first time. I then spoke to the schools regarding the reasons for the rejection. I then spent the summer improving these areas of concern and the result was two acceptances and several interviews.

Thank you all for your responses.

Georgia and DocGibby--

To answer the "stats" question--that 2.48 science GPA isn't gonna help. I'm confident (as many an admissions counselor has told me) that my low science GPA (2.84) is what is keeping me out. They've all said, "You should probably take some more science courses or retake some of the same ones." I can't tell if that's just a cookie-cutter answer to why I didn't get in, or the actual truth as it pertains to MY file. I was a double major, varsity athlete, active fraternity member at one of the best schools in the country with one of the most competitive pre-med communities. All the while I worked at least 20 hours per week. While I think I could have done better, I'm not sure it would have been significantly better. The point of this wandering statement is that it is a tough road and you're granted very few breaks. Post-bacc work, I think is a must for you, as it was/is for me. If you have the means, I suggest doing it full time.

------------------
The Monkey Boy

Originally posted by Monkey:
Okay, I've tried twice. It hasn't happened. I'm 0-2 with a walk (waitlist) in the admissions game.

I applied twice and got in unexpectedly. My stats were less than stellar: 3.07 cum, 3.7 post bacc, 28 MCAT. My post bacc was 60 hours of science which may have helped some. I worked full time in a hospital all the way through school. I had minimal but consistent volunteer experience in a homeless shelter over a period of years. I had every intent of reapplying a third time and it was only after I had fully committed to reapplying that I got my acceptance. My advice is to be absolutely certain that this is the profession for you and then set out to convince the adcoms. I had a friend in a similar situation (also low stats) that said in his interviews that he planned to keep applying until he died if need be. He got one acceptance and 4 waitlist positions. I don't know how helpful this is but I don't think you can underestimate the power of postitive thought. If you are meant to become a physician you will find away to make it happen. Good luck-

rule number one:
1-I think if I were the admission committee, I would not look anyone below 3.5GPA cumulative.

2- if your GPA is low then you have to pull them up.. initially they will screen your number for acceptability.

3-some guys have very good GPAs but average MCATs then the admission will look towards other things on your record. Your experience with a DO physician who is a well known faculty will help. Whatelse have you done that is unusual for them to look at you and say: wow this guy is very interesting...
many schools don't really care if you did research...and that is a misconception from prior years...How many times I have seen premeds staying on lab jobs forever before getting accepted into medical school.

4-Now, I think the type of job you do may not weigh as much as long as your numbers are correct.or in the range. If they have two candidates with very similar number then the next step is either to interview them both or either prescreen for better suitability.

Don't worry about the nature of the job....
If your numbers are weak work at it..

Med schools like to see your struggle and achievement rather then excuses....or that old addage of looking good for them.

Sincerely,
Jacob Keum
4th year NYCOM

Hello Jacob,

I've been accpted to NYCOM for class of 2004. Would you mind to answer some questions I have about NYCOM?

hey TQL!
Congratulations!!!!!
Welcome to medical community hehehehe.

sure I would be glad to give you few hints and maybe try to answer any question you may have...

Jacob Keum
4th year NYCOM

with great pride to become a Physician and DO!!

This is for all of your out there regarding Stats!!!

1-admission committee dont care if you went to harvard or some unknown school as long as you can show them you are capable candidate.

2-You can mess up MCATs but really GPA you have to pull it up. You can do it by retaking all those pertaining courses you have gotten grade of "C" or even B-. And you can either go to community college to do it if you can help it. Organic chemistry is organic chemistry anywhere you go really!!! Once you have done then when you put into the application for general cum you GPA will go up...

3-Now on top of that, take some interesting grad courses of your choice. I took molecular biology graduate level and this course really kicked ass. I was sitting with PhD students and my Professors were people doing research in nobel prize winning labs. But best of all, I was given a very good idea of immunology, some cutting edge biotech stuff and plenty of biochemistry in this course. I managed to get a B grade but what I have learned was actually A+. Now this is particular important taking some good grad courses b/c the admissions will want to know what have you done other than retaking few of your blemishes. So the key is fix the blemishes all your Cs and Bs if you want. Then actualize on your field take current courses.

I personally don't believe that enrolling in a Ivy-league post bacc will help any. You can take course in any school nearby within your convenience. Plus many of these Post baccs are more making deal for those colleges. There is no guarantee on any kind.

IT IS VERY IMPORTANT YOU TAKE A GOOD MCAT REVIEW COURSE LIKE "PRINCETON REVIEW" AND DRILL ON TONS OF QUESTIONS... You will get good at it eventually b/c there are just so many ways to test the same thing. This applies to your future years in Medicine even the boards can be cracked if you really practice and work on your weak areas!!!

Now, What would I do on my regular time while I do all this:
Get a stress-free job, if you can afford it something which will give you enough mental freedom to pursue those studies I have mentioned. I believe if you can find a decent job it can give you a relief from your study related stress. this is actually a key b/c if you are working in a very stressful place with tons of BS then you can't have the mental freedom to learn a thing really.

Lastly, if you want to go to a particular DO school or even MD school, I would volunteer with a faculty of that particular school.
A letter of recommendation from a friend is more useful than a letter from some stranger in Harvard Medical school or CDC.

Good Luck everyone!!!

Jacob Keum
4th year NYCOM

Oh TQL or everyone out there!

if you have any questions about anything
you guys can e-mail me

Jacob Keum
4th year NYCOM

P.S. Is anyone doing research on Hydrocephalus???? Please let me know!!!

Jkeum,

Regarding advice No. 2; the MCAT is generally the equalizer among students from all the schools, and a low average MCAT is seldom forgiven unless the GPA is very high.

i.e. the purpose of the MCAT is to distinguish the good students from the crowd and to try to equalize the difference in academic rigor between schools. Surveys (AMA) have shown that MCAT scores are better predictors of med school success than are GPAs.

Oh I wanted to tell you.

Sure MCAT is very important.
I did not want to underscore the importance of MCATs but in few of our known cases you have to start with good GPA or at least fix it.

Then you can prep yourself really well for the MCATs. Sure it is key to get above average on MCATs.

Even though MCATS would not guarantee the success of a great Physician.
i know a guy who got in regardless of his low MCATs and later he broke all records on USMLE. So MCATS is actually a poor predictor of future performance but more close to an IQ test really to chop down those numbers on admission.

Sincerely,

Jacob Keum
4th year NYCOM