What should I do now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

runnerman09

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a senior at a mid major school in Ohio. So far I've only had one interview, and I've been wait listed. I don't think I'm going to be accepted off the waitlist. I haven't heard back from any of the other schools. At this point, I doubt I'm going to hear from them. I would like some advice on what I should do to improve my application, or maybe where I went wrong. My application was complete in October. I know that's late. I was hesitant because I wanted to wait for my MCAT score, and I wasn't happy with it. I debated whether to even apply this application year, but I figured I might as well try. I had nothing to lose, except my money. I mostly applied to in state schools. I figured I would have the best chance at acceptance at an IS school. Should I focus on retaking the MCAT? Is there other things that my application could use? Should I go for a masters degree? I've thought about being an ER scribe? What's the main thing I should be focusing on for improving my chances the next time I apply?

GPA: 3.95
sGPA: something similar
MCAT: 29

Hospital volunteering: 4 years (300 hrs)
Nonclinical volunteering: 150 hours at a local foodbank

Student Government 2 years
Fraternity 4 years
VP of Fraternity 1 year
President of premed honors society 1 year

Shadowing experience:
Family physician 40 hours
ER physician 20 hours
Radiologist 10 hours
Cardiologist 10 hours

Over 1,000 hours of research experience
5 semesters in microbiology lab
4 semesters in a cellular biology lab
3 posters, no publications though
Presented at national, regional, and local conferences

Members don't see this ad.

How many schools did you apply to, and was your list broad?

Eight. And not really. Like I said, it was mostly IS schools

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd personally retake the mcat, but only if/when your're scoring 33+ on your practice tests.

Everything else looks good though. Just make sure to continue your meaningful activities into the next application cycle as well. And yes, apply more early (first date if possible) and broadly this time.

The only other things I can think of that may have redflagged your application are academic/behavior misconducts. Hopefully you don't have any of those..

I'm a senior at a mid major school in Ohio. So far I've only had one interview, and I've been wait listed. I don't think I'm going to be accepted off the waitlist. I haven't heard back from any of the other schools. At this point, I doubt I'm going to hear from them. I would like some advice on what I should do to improve my application, or maybe where I went wrong. My application was complete in October. I know that's late. I was hesitant because I wanted to wait for my MCAT score, and I wasn't happy with it. I debated whether to even apply this application year, but I figured I might as well try. I had nothing to lose, except my money. I mostly applied to in state schools. I figured I would have the best chance at acceptance at an IS school. Should I focus on retaking the MCAT? Is there other things that my application could use? Should I go for a masters degree? I've thought about being an ER scribe? What's the main thing I should be focusing on for improving my chances the next time I apply?

Fraternity 4 years
VP of Fraternity 1 year

Shadowing experience:
ER physician 20 hours
Radiologist 10 hours
Cardiologist 10 hours

I think your MCAT is definitely holding you back. It is below the mean for OSU, UC and Case, and about on par with Wright State, Toledo, and NEOMED. Retake that and score a 32+ AND apply EARLY and I think you will have a much better shot at some of the in state schools, but also broaden your horizons and think about applying to some schools OOS.

Edit: Also, did you apply to OU (DO school)? They have a pretty good program and the med school has received a LOT of money recently to put into the program. With your stats, you would definitely be competitive here without having to retake the MCAT.

Last edited:

Fraternity 4 years
VP of Fraternity 1 year

Shadowing experience:
ER physician 20 hours
Radiologist 10 hours
Cardiologist 10 hours

I should think you'd be a near shoe-in at OU. Your ECs are good enough (and well done, BTW) that you have a chance they'll trump your MCAT score to some extent, provided you apply early and interview well, at MD schools. If you are the least bit ambitious to have a few school choices, retake the MCAT, especially if the scores aren't balanced.

EC-wise, do you have anything to list under Teaching (TA, tutor, coach, mentor) or Artistic Endeavors? It would help if something, even a Hobby, was unusual, to make your application more memorable.

For a glide year, ER scribe would be a great job, but so would anything requiring people skills, so long as you keep your hand in with nonmedical community service (potentially taking on a leadership role) and something related to patients.

Engaging in a Masters will not help you, so don't do it unless you yearn to master a given field and are positive you can finish before med school matriculation.

I think your MCAT is definitely holding you back. It is below the mean for OSU, UC and Case, and about on par with Wright State, Toledo, and NEOMED. Retake that and score a 32+ AND apply EARLY and I think you will have a much better shot at some of the in state schools, but also broaden your horizons and think about applying to some schools OOS.

Edit: Also, did you apply to OU (DO school)? They have a pretty good program and the med school has received a LOT of money recently to put into the program. With your stats, you would definitely be competitive here without having to retake the MCAT.

I didn't apply to OU. I'm still on the fence about going there. Next time I apply I will apply there. Is there any schools out of state that I realistically have a shot at getting into?

I should think you'd be a near shoe-in at OU. Your ECs are good enough (and well done, BTW) that you have a chance they'll trump your MCAT score to some extent, provided you apply early and interview well, at MD schools. If you are the least bit ambitious to have a few school choices, retake the MCAT, especially if the scores aren't balanced.

EC-wise, do you have anything to list under Teaching (TA, tutor, coach, mentor) or Artistic Endeavors? It would help if something, even a Hobby, was unusual, to make your application more memorable.

For a glide year, ER scribe would be a great job, but so would anything requiring people skills, so long as you keep your hand in with nonmedical community service (potentially taking on a leadership role) and something related to patients.

Engaging in a Masters will not help you, so don't do it unless you yearn to master a given field and are positive you can finish before med school matriculation.

Only grad students are allowed to TA at my school. I was never a tutor or a coach. Sorry.. I do make my own wine though hah.

Oh and my scores were not balanced (B 12, P 10, V 7). I know verbal is the most difficult one to bring up..

Only grad students are allowed to TA at my school. I was never a tutor or a coach. Sorry.. I do make my own wine though hah.
A teaching entry isn't required, so don't stress about it. Your stronger than typical Leadership may compensate.

Be sure to list the wine making on the application.

I didn't apply to OU. I'm still on the fence about going there. Next time I apply I will apply there. Is there any schools out of state that I realistically have a shot at getting into?

Oh and my scores were not balanced (B 12, P 10, V 7). I know verbal is the most difficult one to bring up..
Consider adding Rosaland Franklin (IL). Their bottom tenth percentile for verbal is a 7 as I recall, as is UIC's, but the latter school is very expensive for OOSers.

Fraternity 4 years
VP of Fraternity 1 year

Shadowing experience:
ER physician 20 hours
Radiologist 10 hours
Cardiologist 10 hours

Honestly, your late app in October is what likely did you in this cycle. October is VERY late for any applicant, and w your MCAT, it prob killed your chances.

8 schools is also way too low w your MCAT. You need to apply to 15 minimum, but shoot for 20+ if you have the money.

Your ECs are solid. Becoming an ED scribe sounds good and will def help.

If you have the time, you can also re-study for the MCAT, take some practice tests, and if you're consistently scoring 31 or above, retake it (try to get the verbal up). However, if you apply early (June) and more broadly (15+) next cycle, you should be fine w a 29.

I agree w Cat, apply to OU, you have a great shot there.

Other schools to consider besides IS Ohio schools: SLU, Loyola, RFU, Albany, Hofstra, NYMC, Creighton, Temple, Drexel, GW, MCW, Vermont.

A teaching entry isn't required, so don't stress about it. Your stronger than typical Leadership may compensate.

Be sure to list the wine making on the application.

I actually did put winemaking on my application. Neither of my interviewers even mentioned it though.

Honestly, your late app in October is what likely did you in this cycle. October is VERY late for any applicant, and w your MCAT, it prob killed your chances.

8 schools is also way too low w your MCAT. You need to apply to 15 minimum, but shoot for 20+ if you have the money.

Your ECs are solid. Becoming an ED scribe sounds good and will def help.

If you have the time, you can also re-study for the MCAT, take some practice tests, and if you're consistently scoring 31 or above, retake it (try to get the verbal up). However, if you apply early (June) and more broadly (15+) next cycle, you should be fine w a 29.

I agree w Cat, apply to OU, you have a great shot there.

Other schools to consider besides IS Ohio schools: SLU, Loyola, RFU, Albany, Hofstra, NYMC, Creighton, Temple, Drexel, GW, MCW, Vermont.

Thank you for the list of schools. I've considered studying for the mcat again and taking it again in September. I feel like I could really improve my score. I'm willing to forgo applying this upcoming application cycle and applying the following on the first day possible. I've wanted to do some things that I didn't have a chance to do as an undergrad. For example running a marathon. I feel like I would really enjoy some additional time off.