What should I do? Restudy and Reapply or Wait it out?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dhooy7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have one interview in March but I feel like I can do better. I only applied to DO schools, but the interview is at a new DO school. My biggest problem was retaking and applying later (October and November) I feel like. I had a job offer and hadn't gotten any II's so I declined the job to restudy for the MCAT. I currently work 3 jobs which are all flexible. I am hoping to buy a used car. The extra money working full-time would be nice, but I don't want to be in a bad position if I need to reapply.

MCAT: 500 after retake last date in September
GPA: AACOMAS- 3.93 due to HS English course counting towards college credit; 3.98 and 3.957
3000+ hours as a CNA
recently started volunteering at a free medical clinic and 300+ hours
50 hours shadowing DO with LOR from DO
strong extracurriculars and several leadership awards
referee soccer/basketball, work 6-8 hours a month at the YMCA and work casually as a CNA (flexible hours)

I got placed on hold from a very reputable DO school and they said they like to see at least a 502 if not 505+. I am also under review for 3 schools I applied to. I got one rejection thus far, and I am waiting to hear back from about 8 schools. My biggest problem is wondering if I should find a full-time job to save money or restudy to take the MCAT in May. I started to restudy for the MCAT. Should I find a full-time position at the hospital and follow-up with the position I declined, or cutback and retake the MCAT. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

There is too much disparity between your GPA and MCAT. I would say your low MCAT is actually negating all your hard work at getting a high GPA because right now it looks like you simply blew the MCAT off or somehow didn't actually earn your GPA (ie, took all easy profs, etc). If you are capable of a 3.9 GPA, you can get a 509+ on the MCAT with self-study and probably much higher if you take a prep course. Once you do, you won't have any problems landing interviews.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with the above^

In terms of your situation, I wouldn't rush reapplying and would advise you to retake the MCAT while cutting back on work hours. Working full-time while studying for a retake is risky so if you could take a month or two off from work to restudy (or work less hours), I think that would help your score immensely.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
When studying I didn't work full-time. I had a flexible job working 8-16 hours a week

I know I can do better for several reasons.

Got an II from a reputable school and I'm very excited!

I got another II. Preparing for an MMI this week.

6 II's total with lower stats.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I got waitlisted to 3 schools so far. I'm waiting on a 4th. Should I start restudying for the MCAT in the meantime?

I have two more upcoming II's and then I'm going to dedicate my time to restudying, rewriting my PS, secondaries, and improving my application. I think my biggest weakness is my low MCAT but I still was fortunate to receive 7 II"s with no acceptances yet though.

Will this be a problem is I plan on retaking the MCAT in August?