What should I do the Summer before my first year of medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rachapkis

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
The MCAT, the initial application, secondaries, interviews and updates are in the rearview mirror. If one is fortunate enough to get an offer to attend medical school (fingers crossed for everyone), is there anything important that a future M1 should focus on the summer before attending medical school, or is this a last gasp of freedom that should be enjoyed unencumbered by academics?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm gonna quit my jobs like 1-1.5 months before med school starts and just do whatever I feel like. I personally feel this is important.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Kinda wondering the same thing for myself... I’m considering quitting my hospital job and working as a camp counselor over the summer (still have rent to pay). If anyone else has other fun job ideas for the summer, I’d appreciate the input.

Reactions: 1 user
The only thing related to school I would remotely consider is learning how to use Anki. Now I don’t mean actually DOING any Anki, but like watching some YouTube vids on how it works, how to make cards, etc.

Reactions: 3 users
I graduate this semester, so I plan on working my semester off and saving enough money to quit 1-1.5 months before med school and travel somewhere (I've never gone on a trip/vacation/plane so this is a pretty big deal to me).

Reactions: 2 users
I taught English in Italy for a few months and then work at a grocery store in Colorado just easy way is to pay the bills and be able to travel to new places. I plan on going on some trips and working a little bit

The only thing related to school I would remotely consider is learning how to use Anki. Now I don’t mean actually DOING any Anki, but like watching some YouTube vids on how it works, how to make cards, etc.

Yup, second this. I wish I knew about Anki in pre med bio courses. I used it for MCAT and it was amazing for retaining information.

As for your free time, I think its best to keep your mind off school as much as possible. Its gonna be an intense 4 years of nonstop learning/working. So Take a breather, connect with as many of your family/friends as you want to, enjoy life by going on road trips or cruises (which I will also be doing). Basically do things that you know you wont really have time for in med school and things that you’ve always wanted to do.

Reactions: 1 user
Am I the only one thats excited for the torture?

This is my exact plan! Ive used anki for a while but there are many nuances I am jnfamiliar with...

Reactions: 3 users
Relax. Enjoy life. It might be worth it to earn a bit of money for an emergency fund or if you wanna travel at somepoint during school (Ski trip, Spring break, etc). I tell folks make a bucket list of things you have always wanted to do, and try to do as many as possible. Don't worry about "Prestudying" or research. Just enjoy your time.

Start lifting

Travel if you can, go out everyday if you can. Read the books you've always wanted to read but didn't, watch the movies you wanted to watch but didn't. You can def do some of that in med school but it won't be without the guilt of not studying lol