what should i do to cheer up about life?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lmnguye4

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have no one to talk to, so this is my new family and I thought it'd feel better to vent somewhere. :oops:

I have a lot on my mind, and I've been just so emotional that I cried almost everday for the last several days. I don't usually cry whether at a funeral or if someone decided to punch me really hard. I'm going through some sort of emotional phase, I'm feeling really depressed. :(

Stuff has happened in the past month, and I know I should suck it up, but having trouble doing so. :confused: I have a huge final exam tomorrow and I can't even focus.

My question is: What do you all do to cheer up in down times? :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

Maker's Mark and some ice

You have no one that you can talk to? You must do something about that immediately. College can be difficult, especially with the added pressure of being a pre-med. An online forum will do little to ease the pain that you feel.

When I am down, I usually spend some time outdoors. This could be a walk outside, playing golf, or sitting outside at a coffee shop/restaurant for a few hours. I also like to work out and let my stress work itself out in a positive way.

Take a deep breath, and really take a long look at your current situation. 9 times out of 10, you are experiencing a period of time that will adjust for the better, you simply have to be patient. Again, establishing a positive social base is key to your mental health. Seek out help professionally, if you must, but be proactive and build some momentum as you work toward your life's goals.

Members don't see this ad :)
:(

-put on some ridiculous music and dance like you're drunk. Do it in front of the mirror. :zip:

-watch my all time fav movie: Amelie. It cheers me up every time. Or I recommend kung fu hustle.

-go to a local comedy club, normally they'll have discounts for students.

- scream into a pillow...

:(

-put on some ridiculous music and dance like you're drunk. Do it in front of the mirror. :zip:

-watch my all time fav movie: Amelie. It cheers me up every time. Or I recommend kung fu hustle.

-go to a local comedy club, normally they'll have discounts for students.

- scream into a pillow...
Thanks for everyones replies! =)

And LOL to Kung Fu Hustle. I watched that before, it's pretty funny.

I'd go outside, workout (or any physical activity really), and make sure you get a good nights rest.

Maybe you could also do something you personally enjoy- give yourself a reward for all your hardwork you put in.

When all else fails, do something crazy (but legal) to cheer yourself up. Maybe conquer a fear.

Hope ya feel better!

For starters you should make some friends. (I'm being serious here.)

Get involved in an activity of some sort. Doesn't really matter what it is as long as it is somewhat challenging.

Sleep. You are probably sleep deprived, because you're approaching finals. Get some, it does wonders.

Sometimes it's refreshing just to take a walk and get some sun or a cool evening breeze. It does wonders for the mind.

Finally, figure out what is bothering you. If you know what the cause is you can do something about it. Don't just assume you're depressed and crying because the last month has been tough (I'm not sure what happened, so I won't presume to guess), figure out what the cause of the sadness truly is. It's most likely not this even/or series of events that occurred this past month, but rather they were most likely a trigger to an underlying problem. This underlying problem is most likely what is surfacing now. Identify and resolve this problem or emotional issue and you should be fine. It is easier said than done though.

If you are having trouble doing this it might be in your best interest to seek some form of counseling so that they can help you sift through what the underlying issues really are.

Best of luck!

I go biking. I just like being out in nature, under clear skies (or dark ones, doesn't matter!), or going to a beach, nearby town to do something a bit different, etc. People seem to work themselves too much into a routine that even the fun things that are routine start to suck.

Be spontaneous.

Oh yeah, usual disclaimer is if you feel bad, you should seek some counseling.

1st: Sleep.

2nd: Workout. Don't even have to go to the gym, just go for a run outside (hopefully its nice weather and not pouring rain which probably wouldn't improve your mood).

3rd: Feel victorious after your run. Get yourself some pizza, a few beers, put on a 70s charlton heston dystopian movie, and relax.

Hey look if you think you are having a hard time, look at my story. I have had the worst college experience. Freshman year I failed Calc. 1, but worked hard and retook it. I didn't do well in freshman year, and then worked hard to improve sophomore year, and I did. This semester was my end of sophomore year. I had been doing well, and my dad was diagnosed with cancer. I worked hard to go to class do well on my work, and go home or to the hospital everyday after class. I had tried to not push my exams back for later. I did well, my dad wants me to be a doctor and I have promised that I will become one for him and myself. May 8, 2009 my father passed away. Now my finals will have to wait, but my mind is destroyed. You tell me what can I do? Sometimes you need to realize you are not in the worst position, and there nothing to really be depressed about. RIP Dad.

When I feel down, I GTFO SDN and go do something real, preferably outdoors.

Do something kind for someone else.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry you feel so down and have no one to talk to. Going through these types of "episodes" is normal, hopefully it will resolve soon. Try some of the de-stressors the above posters have suggested.

If this feeling does not resolve, you must go to speak to a professional. I'm sure your college has a free counselor to talk to, that is what they are there for and they want to help.

Unfortunately, I've been there, too.

Two weeks after I graduated from college, both of my parents passed away suddenly and violently after 2 years of divorce proceedings. My older sister was unable to live on her own before then, and was barely functional afterward. I was the new owner of 23 rental units (13 different properties, including 1 8800 SF commercial building and 4 farms > total 250 acres), 2 veterinary hospitals (with no vets, but ~5000 pets), responsible for my father's mother (who was diagnosed with cancer 1 year later), my thoughts of changing careers before graduation, my father's girlfriend who would not leave our family's home (and who was stealing our furniture, etc), my mother's boyfriend's family/estate (who was also killed in the incident) suing our family, about 12 attorneys, a few employees, 2 new cars (impounded and held 'captive' by my father's girlfriend), and now the sole (and only) person to clean it all up. Oh yeah, being a recent grad, I only had about $300, a half-functional car, and no house to live in. I had to stay with my girlfriend's house, who was family was going to be foreclosing on it soon. My girlfriend and I ended up living in her grandmother's uninsulated attic - then the water heater exploded and blew water all over our stuff one night. It took 13 months of court to get our home back (Justice does NOT occur in the American legal system - Anyone who says otherwise is completely full of ****). I was 22.

And you know what?

I made it. Class of 2013 x 7 times over.

You need to dig deep. It sucks. It really, really, really does. But you can do it. Dream of it. Focus on that. Take your time to understand how you feel. Take time off if you need it - you probably do. I found it helpful to think through it by talking about it, but to spend the rest of my time thinking about what I hoped for in my own life. If its the loss of someone you love, consider grief counseling. You'll be amazed how much strength you have and how bad it can really be for others.

Like everyone else has already said, go outside. One day I hopped on my bike and just rode. I didn't know where I was going, but I was in control. It took me 3 years after my parents died until I had all of the properties, businesses, homes, etc back in order (and my wife back in school herself) until I could start pre-med.

I also found that it was tremendously helpful in my own development. It makes you realize things that *no one else* can experience or rationalize for yourself. It made me learned who I was and what I really wanted. As for friends, expect those who were close to you before to help, but don't expect very much. I can't remember how many people who I knew that I had to almost remind them, "um...you know what happened, right?"

Good luck. You will make it and you will reach your dreams!

Last edited:
I was dealing with some very major issues during my sophomore year, and that year was when my husband went to Iraq. I was totally alone, I had just moved from California to Tennessee. I didn't want to go see a counselor or psychologist, but let me tell you, it makes a very, very big difference. If there is anything available on campus, go for it. I don't know who I'd be today if I hadn't seen my psychologist, even though it was months before my husband coerced me into an appointment.

Other than that, watch lots of your favorite TV show and hang out with any pets you may have (even if it's a fish). Go outside. Feel the sunshine on your skin. Listen to music. Just be proactive in trying to cope--sitting around and feeling miserable is easy to do (I did it for waaaaay too long) but it doesn't help.

Relax a little bit. Like said above, watch your favorite tv, pick up a new hobby and enjoy some scenery. A cute dog will definitely cheer you up every time you see it, pets are wonderful.

I'm not much of a cryier myself, but sometimes your body just needs the release of a good cry.

I would very strongly suggest going to see a therapist. Talking with someone about your life who has no invested interest in the outcome (i.e not family, friends, g/f, b/f) can be so helpfully, b/c they can see the big picture whereas you may not be able to right now.

EVERYONE goes through periods of sadness, whether this is due to things in your life or you could just be feeling down, it is perfectly normal!

Of course a lot of the suggestions here are also very good.

Watch your favorite movie.
Read a new book, let yourself fall into another world.
Exercise, it really does release endorphins and if you work out hard enough you burn off any anxiety or anger.
Get out of your house, dorm, apt, whatever for a few hours to do anything.

Good luck! And just remember this too shall pass!

Not going to lie here but I dont have any friends really. They all went downhill after highschool if you know what I mean. What I usually do is if I'm feeling down is go out for a jog and workout. Fresh air usually does the trick. Finding a hobby is a great thing to do too, I myself have a addiction to RC helicopters now. Want them to go as high as they can. :D

Stress is hard to deal with just have to find something that works for you. Don't worry it's going to pass, just remember to have fun.

Unfortunately, I've been there, too.

Two weeks after I graduated from college, both of my parents passed away suddenly and violently after 2 years of divorce proceedings. My older sister was unable to live on her own before then, and was barely functional afterward. I was the new owner of 23 rental units (13 different properties, including 1 8800 SF commercial building and 4 farms > total 250 acres), 2 veterinary hospitals (with no vets, but ~5000 pets), responsible for my father's mother (who was diagnosed with cancer 1 year later), my thoughts of changing careers before graduation, my father's girlfriend who would not leave our family's home (and who was stealing our furniture, etc), my mother's boyfriend's family/estate (who was also killed in the incident) suing our family, about 12 attorneys, a few employees, 2 new cars (impounded and held 'captive' by my father's girlfriend), and now the sole (and only) person to clean it all up. Oh yeah, being a recent grad, I only had about $300, a half-functional car, and no house to live in. I had to stay with my girlfriend's house, who was family was going to be foreclosing on it soon. My girlfriend and I ended up living in her grandmother's uninsulated attic - then the water heater exploded and blew water all over our stuff one night. It took 13 months of court to get our home back (Justice does NOT occur in the American legal system - Anyone who says otherwise is completely full of ****). I was 22.

And you know what?

I made it. Class of 2013 x 7 times over.

You need to dig deep. It sucks. It really, really, really does. But you can do it. Dream of it. Focus on that. Take your time to understand how you feel. Take time off if you need it - you probably do. I found it helpful to think through it by talking about it, but to spend the rest of my time thinking about what I hoped for in my own life. If its the loss of someone you love, consider grief counseling. You'll be amazed how much strength you have and how bad it can really be for others.

Like everyone else has already said, go outside. One day I hopped on my bike and just rode. I didn't know where I was going, but I was in control. It took me 3 years after my parents died until I had all of the properties, businesses, homes, etc back in order (and my wife back in school herself) until I could start pre-med.

I also found that it was tremendously helpful in my own development. It makes you realize things that *no one else* can experience or rationalize for yourself. It made me learned who I was and what I really wanted. As for friends, expect those who were close to you before to help, but don't expect very much. I can't remember how many people who I knew that I had to almost remind them, "um...you know what happened, right?"

Good luck. You will make it and you will reach your dreams!

That is an utterly amazing post. Bravo for everything you've accomplished. :)

OP, do you play any musical instruments by any chance? When I'm feeling very overwhelmed, I tend to play guitar a lot, and it helps a ton.

I have no one to talk to, so this is my new family and I thought it'd feel better to vent somewhere. :oops:

I have a lot on my mind, and I've been just so emotional that I cried almost everday for the last several days. I don't usually cry whether at a funeral or if someone decided to punch me really hard. I'm going through some sort of emotional phase, I'm feeling really depressed. :(

Stuff has happened in the past month, and I know I should suck it up, but having trouble doing so. :confused: I have a huge final exam tomorrow and I can't even focus.

Talk to a therapist. I know it sounds so cliche, but they get paid to listen to people in situations like yours. It's hard to just up and make friends when your so down in the dumps, and even when you have friends or family members to talk to, they're not always willing or able to listen to the things you're going through. I was in a weird funk for a while toward the end of last year and met with a professional. She did not give me medicine, she did not diagnose me as clinically depressed--she just served as a sounding board when I really needed it. Sometimes just getting it out to an objective person helps you work things out on your own.

Join clubs at school. Watch movies. Play video games.

The 2nd and 3rd always cheers me up.

As Slim said, do something nice for someone else. Serve someone else; volunteer to help someone learn how to read; go visit the lonely and bereft in a nursing home, or simply smile and open the door and allow someone to enter before you.
I know you are probably busy with finals, but I have found that when I help someone else, I see that there are things that are more important than myself, and that I can make a difference in someone else's life by looking and acting, whatever it may be. By looking and seeing the life situations of different people, it also gives you a greater perspective on how others' problems are, in many cases, greater than your own.
"...with all its sham, drugery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Strive to be happy."

Take a day, and get away...drive out and hike...or spend the whole day walking around a city you've never seen (that's near enough to conveniently drive to)...just leave.

That helps me a LOT.

Feel better.

Take a day, and get away...drive out and hike...or spend the whole day walking around a city you've never seen (that's near enough to conveniently drive to)...just leave.

That helps me a LOT.

Feel better.

What if I go to a city I never been to and end up getting lost? I'm going to be scared.

Joking :D

I write or volunteer. Nothing like working with people who have truly hit rock bottom to make you realize that the crap you are going through really isn't that hard in comparison.

Kung Fu Hustle on HD will cheer u up. When I get depressed I eat me a bowl of Pho.

Thanks for everyones replies! =)

And LOL to Kung Fu Hustle. I watched that before, it's pretty funny.

When I'm down, I just go on youtube searching for hilarious videos to watch, play tennis, swim, find someone to talk to and turn to God (if u r religious). I hope u feel better.