MA/MS What should I do to improve my chances of getting into a PhD program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

koko1210678

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I went to an instate public university and ended up with a Bachelor's of Science in Criminology with a 2.6 GPA. I know, it's horrendous.

I was raped twice in college (the first time I was drunk, the second time I was attacked by a stranger) so I'd like to say I have an excuse for my terrible GPA in that I sucked at life after both those incidents, and I suppose I do, but the truth is I could have done better if I put in more effort and was less stubborn (transferred out of that school and into another school with a better environment). At the end of the day it is what it is and I can't complain too much since my experience in undergrad has definitely guided me to the path I'm on today where I want to become a forensic psychologist. I just need to make lemonade out of the lemons which is what I'm trying to do.

I realize that with my low undergraduate GPA, I had absolutely no chance of getting into a fully funded doctoral program, so I didn't even try. Unfortunately my GPA has also barred me from any "respectable" state university that has masters programs in psychology/forensic psychology. But I did get into Southern New Hampshire University which is regionally accredited and seems like it will actually allow me to do research which for me is the most important aspect of getting into a PhD program later on. I'm a Guardian Ad Litem in which I advocate for and work with foster care children in conjunction with the court system. I'm thinking I should probably additionally volunteer somewhere else (perhaps as a sexual assault victim advocate or with a suicide prevention hotline) to get more "clinical" experience. But I'm less concerned with that than I am with research since I have none.

I'm also concerned that even though I was told I'd be allowed to work on research, I might not actually be able to do any research in my masters program and that I certainly wouldn't be able to present, submit for publication, etc. with the support of SNHU. To be honest, I didn't see any Master's program in forensic psychology, that I could reasonably get into, that WOULD give me that research experience that I am lacking.

Is there anything I can do while I'm still doing my masters that will help boost my chances of getting into a clinical psychology PhD program with forensic emphasis? What should I do if my university doesn't really help with research/presentation opportunities? Can I work on research opportunities apart from the university? Should I take a year after graduating with my masters to work in a research position? How does one go about getting research opportunities with just a master's degree?

I'm just really trying to do my best to get into ANY PhD program and I know that SNHU isn't the best school in the world but in a world of second chances it happens to be my best opportunity. Unfortunately, I just can't afford to go the PsyD route, I really need a fully funded program. Any advice anyone could give me on the direction I'm going and if I'm going in the right direction would be fully appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Just some thoughts and I haven't looked at the entry requirements for anything but maybe widen your search to MSW and LMHC programs and try to find a psych professor's lab you could work in on the side while you are pursuing that degree? At least with either of those masters programs you'd be able to get licsenced and practice (unlike most psychology/forensic psych masters) if for some reason the PhD track is unattainable. There are many MSW and LMHC at the private practice I work at who see many clients and have full schedules.

I empathize with your undergraduate experience and I think it is an amazing accomplishment that you finished your degree after such trauma and I admire you taking the steps to achieve your dream! As many people told me when I was applying, don't let the cutoffs on the website hold you back. If you can achieve a high GRE score I'm sure they will take that into consideration as well.

Just some thoughts and I just applied to PhD/PsyD programs myself so others may have better advice but I still thought I'd share! I wish you the best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there anything I can do while I'm still doing my masters that will help boost my chances of getting into a clinical psychology PhD program with forensic emphasis? What should I do if my university doesn't really help with research/presentation opportunities? Can I work on research opportunities apart from the university? Should I take a year after graduating with my masters to work in a research position? How does one go about getting research opportunities with just a master's degree?
Yes, you can work on research outside of the university where you are enrolled. It's not uncommon for people to volunteer in labs where they are not matriculated. Are there other universities in the area with psychology departments? While it would be ideal to be doing research in your area of interest, actually getting the experience is more important, and the skills are transferable. Find someone whose research interests you and ask if you can volunteer there and if you will have opportunities to present or publish.

If your program does not offer research opportunities, then how are you expected to complete your thesis?

With a master's degree, you can still work as a research assistant or research coordinator. For the most part, these positions are open at the bachelor's level. A few may require a master's, but they're not as common. However, these positions are competitive, so you should have some experience under your belt when applying for them.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using SDN mobile

Hi everyone! I went to an instate public university and ended up with a Bachelor's of Science in Criminology with a 2.6 GPA. I know, it's horrendous.

I was raped twice in college (the first time I was drunk, the second time I was attacked by a stranger) so I'd like to say I have an excuse for my terrible GPA in that I sucked at life after both those incidents, and I suppose I do, but the truth is I could have done better if I put in more effort and was less stubborn (transferred out of that school and into another school with a better environment). At the end of the day it is what it is and I can't complain too much since my experience in undergrad has definitely guided me to the path I'm on today where I want to become a forensic psychologist. I just need to make lemonade out of the lemons which is what I'm trying to do.

I realize that with my low undergraduate GPA, I had absolutely no chance of getting into a fully funded doctoral program, so I didn't even try. Unfortunately my GPA has also barred me from any "respectable" state university that has masters programs in psychology/forensic psychology. But I did get into Southern New Hampshire University which is regionally accredited and seems like it will actually allow me to do research which for me is the most important aspect of getting into a PhD program later on. I'm a Guardian Ad Litem in which I advocate for and work with foster care children in conjunction with the court system. I'm thinking I should probably additionally volunteer somewhere else (perhaps as a sexual assault victim advocate or with a suicide prevention hotline) to get more "clinical" experience. But I'm less concerned with that than I am with research since I have none.

I'm also concerned that even though I was told I'd be allowed to work on research, I might not actually be able to do any research in my masters program and that I certainly wouldn't be able to present, submit for publication, etc. with the support of SNHU. To be honest, I didn't see any Master's program in forensic psychology, that I could reasonably get into, that WOULD give me that research experience that I am lacking.

I'm just really trying to do my best to get into ANY PhD program and I know that SNHU isn't the best school in the world but in a world of second chances it happens to be my best opportunity. Unfortunately, I just can't afford to go the PsyD route, I really need a fully funded program. Any advice anyone could give me on the direction I'm going and if I'm going in the right direction would be fully appreciated!
I’m so sorry about what you have gone through but I commend you for pushing through! Have you looked into the psy d programs that are funded? There are a few I applied to one this cycle.

So finding a fully funded program can be tough! I was going to suggest looking into some PsyD programs that are strong both clinically and for research, but the ones I thought of are not funded.
I’m wondering if you can do a post bacc program in Psychology and obtain a good GPA, and also get really involved in some research that’s related to your interests (including getting on a poster or paper if you can). The key with the research is then applying to programs you’re a good fit for in terms of research. You can definitely find research to get involved in without a masters degree. I would start with your local university and see if they had any ongoing opportunities. Best of luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know that I would focus so much on research as I would on boosting your GPA. I think the research will be helpful but with a 2.6 undergrad GPA, I think most PhD graduate programs will want to see that you can succeed at a graduate level.

Another option would be to find work in a group-home setting where you'll get exposure to folks with severe and persistent mental illness (SPMI). Much of forensic psychology involves working with individuals with SPMI. You can find plenty of jobs in this setting as the turn-over rate tends to be pretty high. If there are state hospitals in your area, check to see if they have volunteer opportunities. I was a research assistant at my local state hospital as an undergrad. And as others have mentioned, check online for other research assistant positions outside of your program. Best of luck!