Dr_Amr

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2005
Status
hi everybody,

i am a 4th year medical student in egypt , I found out about this forum in google, and it looks like a realy big and public forum , I hope I can find some good advice and good company here,

my problem in short is , I am a very unstable guy, ie. I can't keep wanting the same thing for a long time , earlier in the time of my high school I was very interested in scientific and medical issues and I decided to go into the medical career, but shortly after that I got bored , I didn't do my duties as I should , computer and graphic took my attention for a while but I couldn't keep wanting gfx also for long! , and for three years I succeeded in my collegue but with bad degrees, and this is the 4th year and I really want to like my career as a doctor but I don't know what to do to make sure I won't get bored after a while,

I am looking for advice about this issue, and this is a medical forum , and for sure there're alot of good psychiatrists here , and maybe also there're other people who went through the same experience as mine, my question is : what do you advice me to do so that I can keep liking medicine and medical career forever?

really thx alot for help :)

DrDre'

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 30, 2003
South Central
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
BF, are you stirring up trouble again?

parasiteatwork

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 29, 2004
Timisoara Romania
Status
Dr_Amr said:
hi everybody,

i am a 4th year medical student in egypt , I found out about this forum in google, and it looks like a realy big and public forum , I hope I can find some good advice and good company here,

my problem in short is , I am a very unstable guy, ie. I can't keep wanting the same thing for a long time , earlier in the time of my high school I was very interested in scientific and medical issues and I decided to go into the medical career, but shortly after that I got bored , I didn't do my duties as I should , computer and graphic took my attention for a while but I couldn't keep wanting gfx also for long! , and for three years I succeeded in my collegue but with bad degrees, and this is the 4th year and I really want to like my career as a doctor but I don't know what to do to make sure I won't get bored after a while,

I am looking for advice about this issue, and this is a medical forum , and for sure there're alot of good psychiatrists here , and maybe also there're other people who went through the same experience as mine, my question is : what do you advice me to do so that I can keep liking medicine and medical career forever?

really thx alot for help :)
The first two years of med school can be boring sometimes but once you start with the clinicals,life becomes more interesting....Hasnt this happened to u...maybe u arent paying enough attention!!!Start studying subjects that u like n you r going to start enjoying it...All the best!!!

About the Ads

HYJunkie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2005
Status
I really am not one who should give advice in such matters, but hey... I don't think this could do harm in any way.

The point I want to make is that you probably need to spend as much time as you can in a hospital doing stuff. Reading, learning, watching is definitely not enough. You need to interact hands on with real patients and be as close to a real healthcare provider as you can be (under supervision, obviously). Do nurses' job, pull shifts, anything that puts you in a position where you touch, speak to, think of and work for patients. It's your relationship with them that matters at the end of the day, not your relationship with your professors. I really do not know if that's at all achievable from a legal / regulatory point of view in Egypt, but you should try your best to make that happen. It is only after such experience that you can decide, with a certain amount of precision, if you are 'meant' to be a doctor. If you've been doing that already, think of these experiences. If you don't feel 'hooked' on being around patients and caring for them, it's probably not for you. It could be that you don't have sufficient affinity to this line of work. But you can't say that only because some lectures put you to sleep! There is a good chance that you might enjoy being a doctor, and it's worth finding out.

This is just one possible oppinion, take it as such. I may have sounded very self-confident, but, indeed, all the above may be cr*p.

OP
D

Dr_Amr

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2005
Status
honestly thx alot for advice , I think I got better just by knowing about SDN ( previously gamdev.net and cgtalk.com :) ) , this linked me to medical community and helped me know that I am a doctor and nothing else

thx alot

About the Ads