Medical What should I do to strengthen my application?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good evening,

I am looking for a consult as to how to make myself a better candidate for medical school (MD or DO). For some academic background, I am a rising senior at Trinity College majoring in Anthropology and Biology, my cGPA is 2.97, my sGPA is 2.74, I have not taken the MCAT but am planning to in august of this year, and my study MCAT tests are averaging 510. I am aware that my s/c GPA is extremely low which is why I am seeking a consultation. For some personal backstory, my sophomore year spring/summer I was diagnosed with a chronic disease that made my life a painful hell and I could not leave bed to attend class some days and my life revolved around the management of my symptoms. I am aware that this is no excuse, but I am a first-generation college student as well as Hispanic, I did not want to take specifically the spring semester of my sophomore year off even though I most likely should have because I was afraid of the social, economic, and personal repercussions. I have attached a spreadsheet that includes the courses I have taken, as well as courses I plan to take over the summer, and during my senior year.
For some EC background: I conducted one year of research within the ecology department, I have been the teaching assistant for introductory biology II, various nonclinical summer jobs in hospitality, 150 hours of shadowing within pediatrics and OB/GYN, summer employment as an oncology administration intern, student manager of an on-campus coffee shop, and am in leadership of a biological honor society.

Thank you and I hope you have a great evening
Read this:

Members don't see this ad.

Were you ever encouraged to apply for or participate in an academic enrichment program? How well is your chronic illness under control? Have you gone to any recruitment events run by AMSA, SNMA, or LMSA (annual/regional meetings) or recruitment events? I would not plan on taking the MCAT until you position yourself in a strong master's prehealth program (SMP). You need to continue your upward trend (as per Goro's guide).

Practice exams are not always worth their weight. Judging by your GPAs, I'd recommend holding off on taking the MCAT until you start to see a rise in them which should reassure you regarding your knowledge base for the exam.

I also don't recommend moving forward unless (or until) your condition has improved and is under control.

Adding to the above though, I would agree with others that you should hold off until you get your SMP started and get a firmer basis with your grades higher in your senior year. Furthermore, look to specifically shore up your weakest score, and if they are even, then spend the summer after senior year studying when you have a stronger basis.

Also, which SMP's do you think would be best for me. I am aware that some require the MCAT for admission, so should I take it to improve my chances of acceptance?
You should ask the students and admissions staff as I recommended, but you can also check the AAMC Postbac Program database. Many of us generally advise: 1) low cost, 2) possibility for conditional acceptance/linkage, 3) student support.

Status
Not open for further replies.