what should i do w/ my life now that i didn't match or scramble!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

turquoiseblue

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of doing medical assisting, CNA, or Nursing school......
I thought it would be clinically related and help bring in some needed $ (a job).

Do any of these look good on an application for residency?? Anyone get a position with that?

I was also wondering about working overseas as a doctor....does that look good?

just trying to figure out what to do with my life......

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm thinking of doing medical assisting, CNA, or Nursing school......
I thought it would be clinically related and help bring in some needed $ (a job).

Do any of these look good on an application for residency?? Anyone get a position with that?

I was also wondering about working overseas as a doctor....does that look good?

just trying to figure out what to do with my life......

Thanks.

I would try to do research and pass step 3. I can't imagine that pursuing a lesser healthcare-related degree would help your future application at all. I'd also try again to get a spot, in anything anywhere, this June. People may back out of positions at the last minute and you might scoop one up.

I second the above poster's comment. You trained for so long, don't give up and go into something that will just push your chances of getting into residency even further away. None of those jobs (nursing school, CNA, MA) will keep you mentally "fit" enough to hop right back into residency, if you could get one, plus most places would consider you overqualified with the MD and wouldn't hire you.

Something somewhere will pop up :)

Thanks you all! Good ideas! I will try to do research and check for June spots. I hope that I even find a research position. I know I can find one to volunteer in, but as for paid positions im not sure if I'll find any. Nonetheless, guess I gotta keep trying.

Anyone hiring in research?? Earlier I had been trying to get a postdoc research position and haven't had luck finding any.

People could legitimately call you 'Dr. Nurse' though...lol

Are you absolutely set on only clinical medicine? Working for a pharmaceutical company may be another option if not. I'm not trying to snuff out your dream, but as pointed out previously you face a long uphill battle to get a residency spot.

Are you absolutely set on only clinical medicine? Working for a pharmaceutical company may be another option if not. I'm not trying to snuff out your dream, but as pointed out previously you face a long uphill battle to get a residency spot.

Pharma is cool... it is just that I have only seen positions for MD's where the MD is already board certified and done w/ residency. If you know of anything else please do let me know. Being inexperienced is my greatest flaw in getting any of these jobs out there. I've tried MSL (medical science liason) but they are difficult to find, require prior experience, and I never get interviews in that either. But I try anyways.

I guess one day i'll get some job....the job i was meant to have... i'll let fate decide.:luck:

You say above that you are willing to do more schooling - how about enrolling in an MPH program for the upcoming year? That would increase your appeal to programs next time around.

I guess one day i'll get some job....the job i was meant to have... i'll let fate decide.:luck:

turquoise, i've read some of your posts and it seems this has been going on for a while with u not finding a residency. so what do u do in the meantime for money? or are u independently wealthy where u don't have to work and doing a residency isn't a necessity like most grads?

You say above that you are willing to do more schooling - how about enrolling in an MPH program for the upcoming year? That would increase your appeal to programs next time around.

sounds interesting..i have my mba though..it didnt seem to help...should i do even more like an mph? is it easy to get a job w an mph? what do they get to do? i feel so broke though.. if it cant provide job stability then i shouldnt do that as my mba put me in enough debt..

i dont mind mba jobs as long as they are healthcare related and dont require too much past experience...but they seem hard to come by. i wish i did mph instead..but still unsure of access to jobs w that..any success stories w that?

If you're not totally set on staying in the US, here are some other ideas I would be trying to look into if I were you:
You could try checking with Carribean med schools to see if there are any classes you can help with teaching (not just the "big 3" schools, but any Carribean schools).

The Peace Corps may be able to make use of your medical knowledge in some way even if it's not a direct clinical position.

Hope something works out for you. Keep us updated.

You can also consider doing an EMT program. There are a few levels of the program and you can eventually work your way up to being a paramedic with additional training. The basic EMT course is pretty short and it could be a good stepping stone to advance further in the career. Plus you will have the opportunity to work with patients so that's a major plus for you.

Who knows.. maybe with a new perspective in the medical field you will be able to let go of the disappointments that have been plaguing you and finally move on to something with a fresh set of eyes and make a career out of it.

I wouldn't suggest using it as a way to get your foot back in the door for a residency.. you shouldn't exploit an opportunity like this. Just turn the chapter and maybe one day you will realize what intrinsic factor has held you back.

Getting a job in the medical field and using this time to humble yourself and reflect on what you can do to live a happy life is more important right now. If a few years down the road you feel that you want to consider applying for residency again... it may or may not be possible. I only suggest you try again once you are happy and have job security.

I know it must be difficult to consider a new career path.. it takes a lot of inner strength to admit that and it is not a sign of weakness. People change.. it doesn't happen overnight but people change. Only you know your flaws deep down inside and by fixing it you will be on the road to becoming a happier person.

turquoise, i've read some of your posts and it seems this has been going on for a while with u not finding a residency. so what do u do in the meantime for money? or are u independently wealthy where u don't have to work and doing a residency isn't a necessity like most grads?

in the meantime im mooching off my parents, and studying for step 3 which I will take in a couple weeks, but I do want to eventually get a job or do something after this.

turquoiseblue,

I've read many of your posts. I feel sorry for you for not being able to get a residency for these many years. In my opinion though, I think you need to come to the reality that you will never get back into a residency because there is something about your application that is toxic to PD's. You should accept this and look for non-clinical type positions so that you don't waste any more time in pursuit of residency.

If you know ACLS and have already done med school, I'm sure you could become a paramedic. I think the only problem with your search for medical non-doctor jobs (and I might have this problem as well in your position) is that when people find out that you're a doctor, there may be some animosity or tension. Check your diploma at the door basically. I just got a job at an ultra high end store so I can purchase a chic wardrobe for residency at a low cost, and I was as quiet as possible about my double-doctor status on hiring and with my coworkers.

Medical school is not a substitution for paramedic school. check with your state to see if you can challenge the exam, but I don't know of any state that allows that path. Nor do you have enough pre-hospital clinical hours. And NO, hospital hours are not the same. TOTALLY different.

Check with your state paramedic certification agency for details on how to follow that path if it interests you, but I wouldn't be surprised if you have to do paramedic school or at least all the pre-hospital clinical hours. Also, depending on the state, you'll need in addition to BCLS and ACLS: PALS, AMLS, PHTLS, and NALS. And also perhaps an MVA extrication course.

sounds interesting..i have my mba though..it didnt seem to help...should i do even more like an mph? is it easy to get a job w an mph? what do they get to do?

Well, the MPH I think is certainly directly linked to medicine, especially on the clinical research and policy side. In fact, I've met quite a few joint MBA/MPH types who also had MDs. You can get more info here:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=94

Perhaps using your MBA more towards the healthcare management side of things, or even just taking a few MPH courses, rather than a whole program might be beneficial. As my parents always say, hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

Good luck!

Medical school is not a substitution for paramedic school. check with your state to see if you can challenge the exam, but I don't know of any state that allows that path. Nor do you have enough pre-hospital clinical hours. And NO, hospital hours are not the same. TOTALLY different.

Check with your state paramedic certification agency for details on how to follow that path if it interests you, but I wouldn't be surprised if you have to do paramedic school or at least all the pre-hospital clinical hours. Also, depending on the state, you'll need in addition to BCLS and ACLS: PALS, AMLS, PHTLS, and NALS. And also perhaps an MVA extrication course.

Sorry I had no idea there were so many certifications! It really makes a medical degree more useless on paper.

OP, just curious [and you could plead the 5th here],,, how old are you?