What should I do/WAMC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

camp23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all! I was wondering if I could get some advice on what to do in my gap year next year. I got my MCAT back today and was a little disappointed, but I thought I'd see what people had to say before I made plans to retake.

Kinesiology and Health Promotion and Physiology double major, Psychology minor
3.74 cGPA 3.49 sGPA
MCAT: 508 (127 in everything)
I have ~ 100 hours volunteering at a free clinic spread over two years
I work as a Psychiatric Technician
Anatomy TA for a semester
Chemistry TA for three semesters
Basic shadowing ~ 30 hours
Research - 300 hours and two possible publications, but not as first author.
Research fellowship recipient and presentation
Student government freshman year
Wellness/Health Promotion club member three years
Honor societies three years
Student Fee Committee 3 years
Athletics Tutoring-This semester
Intramural sports

I think my biggest problem is non-clinical volunteering, I have very little (~40 hours) and at various locations. I was thinking about doing a service year or something, but I am worried about application costs. I am also considering a post-bac maybe? I feel like my GPA is right on the edge. Thanks ahead of time to anyone with thoughts about gap year plans or thoughts on how I can improve my application.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Solid for all DO, good for state MD, ok for the rest. Wouldn't retake that balanced MCAT unless your official FLs suggested a way higher score. Pick up a consistent service project (which can probably accommodate your work schedule) and you're good to go. Also work on making your app sound exciting. Two publications are no joke.

Reactions: 2 users
Solid for all DO, good for state MD, ok for the rest. Wouldn't retake that balanced MCAT unless your official FLs suggested a way higher score. Pick up a consistent service project (which can probably accommodate your work schedule) and you're good to go. Also work on making your app sound exciting. Two publications are no joke.

Thanks for this reply! Yeah I keep going back and forth as all my FLs were higher than my actual score, but not by a crazy amount. Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad :)
The other thing I’m a little concerned about is the fact that I’m from Wyoming..so we don’t have a “state” school necessarily.

I suggest these schools with your stats:
U Washington
California University
Kaiser
Creighton
Tulane
NOVA MD
George Washington
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Seton Hall
New York Medical College
Albany
Quinnipiac
Vermont
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the list! I will look in to all of those.