What should I do?? What are my chances?? Non-traditional

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sahinak

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All!

So here is all about me:
4 year College with competitive sciences
SGPA: 3.0
CGPA: 3.45
MCAT: 32

Background:
I initially wanted to do law and so majored in political science. I actually got into law school but had a change of heart and decided on medicine after doing a premedical internship at a renowned hospital in NYC. I initially did crappy in my intro science (C) as I honestly wasn't mature and actually knew how to study then rose to almost all A's in my upper level bio courses.

Post graduation I took a 2 year break as I was expecting twins (I know crazy!) and needed to work for financial reasons. I worked as a consultant to a group of medical practices and a freelance wedding photographer. Currently I'm working in a pharmaceutical company and am formulating supplements to be released under my own label and company (I'm totally psyched!). I've decided to take this break to mature me and to figure out what I really want to do and it has always come back to medicine. And So I want to do this and am ready, much more than before.

I've also done tons of work outside the country on service trips and have 500+ hours with shadowing, clinical research and as an EMT. I decided DO long back as I interned with DO's and MD's and actually saw the difference in their practice. OMM also saved my life and so I truly believe in it and like the mindset behind it as we don't treat a symptom but the whole body.

My question:
-So I tried to retake Orgo where I got a C- and now I'm heading towards a B- (not much of an improvement). Will it matter?
-What are my chances?
-What can do to improve my chances?
-Where should I apply?

Be realistic and truthful. I appreciate everyone's effort in reading and writing on my post.
If youre reading and didn't comment, just pray I get in somewhere!

Thanks!! =D

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Retake any science classes you got a C or lower in to get the sGPA up to around a 3.2 (AACOMAS does grade replacement, not average like AMCAS). Apply broadly, especially to the schools in your region...really anywhere you wouldn't mind moving to. Your MCAT will work to your advantage, your cGPA is fine, and it sounds like you have a somewhat interesting story to tell. Maybe even apply this year if you can schedule course retakes for the summer/fall to get that sGPA up. The only thing keeping you down right now is the sGPA. Improve that even a little and you're well on your way to DO school.

Retake any science classes you got a C or lower in to get the sGPA up to around a 3.2 (AACOMAS does grade replacement, not average like AMCAS). Apply broadly, especially to the schools in your region...really anywhere you wouldn't mind moving to. Your MCAT will work to your advantage, your cGPA is fine, and it sounds like you have a somewhat interesting story to tell. Maybe even apply this year if you can schedule course retakes for the summer/fall to get that sGPA up. The only thing keeping you down right now is the sGPA. Improve that even a little and you're well on your way to DO school.

If I take the classes in the fall, my grades wont be out till december. Wont that be too late?

I got Cs in Orgo and Chem 1.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you should be fine. Obviously retake some science classes if you can. With that said, I think NYCOM and Touro NY would give you a look as is

I think you should be fine. Obviously retake some science classes if you can. With that said, I think NYCOM and Touro NY would give you a look as is

My goal actually is to get into NYCOM and Touro. Anything I can do more to get them to take me? =)

My goal actually is to get into NYCOM and Touro. Anything I can do to get them to take me? =)

I figured since you seemed like you were from the NY area. Retake science classes and get A's in them and you should be a slam dunk. Touro NY loves high MCAT scores

I figured since you seemed like you were from the NY area. Retake science classes and get A's in them and you should be a slam dunk. Touro NY loves high MCAT scores

Same question goes for you too then. If I retake classes in the fall, my grades will be out in december, wont it be too late for this season? I'm looking to apply in this season.

Hi All!

So here is all about me:

Background:
I initially wanted to do law and so majored in political science. I actually got into law school but had a change of heart and decided on medicine after doing a premedical internship at a renowned hospital in NYC. I initially did crappy in my intro science (C) as I honestly wasn't mature and actually knew how to study then rose to almost all A's in my upper level bio courses.

Post graduation I took a 2 year break as I was expecting twins (I know crazy!) and needed to work for financial reasons. I worked as a consultant to a group of medical practices and a freelance wedding photographer. Currently I'm working in a pharmaceutical company and am formulating supplements to be released under my own label and company (I'm totally psyched!). I've decided to take this break to mature me and to figure out what I really want to do and it has always come back to medicine. And So I want to do this and am ready, much more than before.

I've also done tons of work outside the country on service trips and have 500+ hours with shadowing, clinical research and as an EMT. I decided DO long back as I interned with DO's and MD's and actually saw the difference in their practice. OMM also saved my life and so I truly believe in it and like the mindset behind it as we don't treat a symptom but the whole body.

My question:
-So I tried to retake Orgo where I got a C- and now I'm heading towards a B- (not much of an improvement). Will it matter?
-What are my chances?
-Where should I apply?

Be realistic and truthful. I appreciate everyone's effort in reading and writing on my post.

Thanks!! =D

I think you are completely fine. Apply now and apply broadly. Add low tier schoos (KYCOM, LMU, WVSOM, VCOM-CC, PNWU, SOMA etc...) and new schools (ACOM, MUCOM, CUSOM, LUCOM) and you will be fine, even without retakes IMO

If I take the classes in the fall, my grades wont be out till december. Wont that be too late?

I got Cs in Orgo and Chem 1.
Summer classes at a CC would be great, but if you can only get fall classes I still say it's worth a shot. Enter that in AACOMAS as planned coursework (or something like that) so the schools can see you are working on improving your grades, then update at end of semester. If you didn't get anything lower than C, go for the ones that you will most likely get As in (i.e. gen chem before ochem if you're like most people and find gen chem easier). You might run into the situation where you get interviewed because of your MCAT and other application strengths but waitlisted until fall grades come in, but that's speculation on my part. If you would rather not wait another year, I'd pony up the couple hundred for app fees this cycle (or maybe more than that--I think I remember hearing that one of the NY schools has an expensive secondary).

I personally think SOMA is a top of the line school. It's not easy to get in there, they are VERY mission-driven when recruiting.

With that MCAT score and your diverse background I don't think you'll have any trouble getting in. They need that score to up their average MCAT. With twins, if the supplement company is at all successful I'd just stick to that.

Reactions: 1 user
With that MCAT score and your diverse background I don't think you'll have any trouble getting in. They need that score to up their average MCAT. With twins, if the supplement company is at all successful I'd just stick to that.

Like as in not go to med school? I have larger goals and honestly I'm not doing it for money or for fame. I can just sit at home if it was for money. I actually want a medical degree and need it for my future goals and plans.

Like as in not go to med school? I have larger goals and honestly I'm not doing it for money or for fame. I can just sit at home if it was for money. I actually want a medical degree and need it for my future goals and plans.

If you've got the cash and don't mind losing it then by all means give it a shot but it is incredibly difficult to run a business and go to med school (and raise a family) and even tougher to run it during residency. It really comes down to having good employees that you can trust to run the business for you.

If your future goals/plans are outside of medicine I'm not sure how much a DO after your name will help you. In the business world (and most other world's for that matter) few will know that a DO is a physician.

Are you planning on a residency?

If you've got the cash and don't mind losing it then by all means give it a shot but it is incredibly difficult to run a business and go to med school (and raise a family) and even tougher to run it during residency. It really comes down to having good employees that you can trust to run the business for you.

If your future goals/plans are outside of medicine I'm not sure how much a DO after your name will help you. In the business world (and most other world's for that matter) few will know that a DO is a physician.

Are you planning on a residency?

My future plans and goals aren't outside of medicine and so the need for my degree and most importantly, the knowledge with the degree.

My kids are getting older and I've been blessed with a lot of family support literally in my backyard. I don't think being a mum should ever hinder you in doing something and if youre organized and have the support, you should totally go for it. It's sad to hear mothers being put down if they aspire something like becoming a physician (I'm not saying you per say.. just heard others being put down). I've been blessed with being part of a physician family and so see both sides and so took my time off and will start once my kids are in school. Of course there is a realistic side to it where I know I won't go for surgery residency if I want to see my family but there are options and ways. Currently I'm interested in PM&R and primary care so see myself going into these post medical school... but who knows right?

As for the business, I think I should get some credit as to knowing what I'm going into and not doing it if it came in between my medical education. I've sorted that out and now have others (not employees) handling it once I release it. And I'm not saying money is lying around here in my backyard.. just that sometimes your aspirations and goals trump money.

And who cares if others don't know DO is a physician. I still have my education and what I learned to back me up and prove I am a substantial physician. I guess its high time for others in the world to know DO is a physician. And I hope and pray I can be part of that. =D

And please don't take my post defensively. I in no way mean to hurt or upset you.. I wouldn't ever try to hurt someone's feelings that took the time out to help and advise me. just trying to answer your concerns.

Reactions: 1 user
My future plans and goals aren't outside of medicine and so the need for my degree and most importantly, the knowledge with the degree.

My kids are getting older and I've been blessed with a lot of family support literally in my backyard. I don't think being a mum should ever hinder you in doing something and if youre organized and have the support, you should totally go for it. It's sad to hear mothers being put down if they aspire something like becoming a physician (I'm not saying you per say.. just heard others being put down). I've been blessed with being part of a physician family and so see both sides and so took my time off and will start once my kids are in school. Of course there is a realistic side to it where I know I won't go for surgery residency if I want to see my family but there are options and ways. Currently I'm interested in PM&R and primary care so see myself going into these post medical school... but who knows right?

As for the business, I think I should get some credit as to knowing what I'm going into and not doing it if it came in between my medical education. I've sorted that out and now have others (not employees) handling it once I release it. And I'm not saying money is lying around here in my backyard.. just that sometimes your aspirations and goals trump money.

And who cares if others don't know DO is a physician. I still have my education and what I learned to back me up and prove I am a substantial physician. I guess its high time for others in the world to know DO is a physician. And I hope and pray I can be part of that. =D

And please don't take my post defensively. I in no way mean to hurt or upset you.. I wouldn't ever try to hurt someone's feelings that took the time out to help and advise me. just trying to answer your concerns.

I am not easily offended and I have no problems admitting when I am wrong....so no worries : ). I'm sorry for assuming that your goals were outside of medicine, it was just the way it sounded to me with the supplement company talk. My opinion is that if you were becoming a physician to head back to the corporate world a DO would not be worth the time or money. Just like if you told me you wanted to be a pediatric surgeon or a radiation oncologist, I would also suggest that you look elsewhere. I am not being anti-DO, I am a DO; just trying to be realistic.

As someone who left a long career in a lucrative field for medicine I totally agree that goals and aspirations trump money. I am just trying to give you a realistic view of all of this. I am not trying to criticize you and tell you not to do it or that it is impossible to do if you have a bunch of kids. In fact, I think without a doubt you can do this. With a business and kids it is obvious that you know how to prioritize your time and get stuff done and with a 32 MCAT you seem to have no problems with multiple choice tests. All of these traits are incredibly valuable in med school.

My comment about "sticking to the supplement company", comes from my experience and the experience of folks I've known that have tried to run a business and go through this. I was used to working a 60-80+hr/wk and traveling quite a bit in my former career. Coming into school I planned to continue consulting but that went out the window real quick. It's not that I was spending 80hrs/wk with school and studying....It was just exhausting trying to memorize all of this medicine stuff and then be able to completely switch gears and devote myself to a client that is paying good money for me to focus on their problems. Of course, when you get to residency you very well may be doing 80hrs/wk(maybe not with PM&R) and then you'll likely want to spend the rest of your time with family. But it sounds like you've got it all set to be hands off with the business so......you can forget I said all of that crap.

One thing that we have in common that I found incredibly liberating as a student is that you don't really need this. Most students in medical school have nothing to fall back on, they are forced to stay in medical school and do well because there is not a huge/lucrative job market for the average premed graduate....they need this. When I'd see those students in my class worried to the point of not being able to function during a test week, I would always think to myself "the worst case scenario is that I quit school and resume my comfortable life in the corporate world." I am not one to worry much anyway but having that in my pocket without a doubt increased my performance in med school.

I apologize for the incredibly long, poorly written/punctuated post.....take it all with a grain of salt, just my two cents.

Hi All!

So here is all about me:

Background:

My question:
-What are my chances?
-Where should I apply?

Thanks!! =D
So it sounds like you have a shot, so I wouldn't settle if it is something you want to do. If you have any other classes to (re)take, you really need to get A's. Your science GPA is not overly impressive. Also, Add as much as you can to your CV. Publications, volunteer hours, research, teaching, etc. You need to show them your potential as a medical student.