What Should I do With My Gap Year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

t0rtillachips

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm a college freshman right now, but I have enough credits to graduate from UC Berkeley at the end of this spring or during the summer. As I have yet to take the MCAT or apply to medical school, I am guaranteed to have at least a year's gap. What should I do during that year seeing as not everything I do will necessarily get to my application?

Current ideas
-Classes at a post-bacc program
-Research
-Extra year in undergrad for no reason

Members don't see this ad.

College frosh graduating in a year? Yeah, okay.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
College frosh graduating in a year? Yeah, okay.

It's possible OP could have done some sort of dual enrollment in high school. People enter my school with >100 credits as freshmen.

Reactions: 1 user
Why on Earth would you do a post-bacc when you could stay in school. Do your pre-reqs at UC Berkeley, volunteer, do research, travel abroad, learn a language, study interesting things while you are in school. Get life experience.

It's possible OP could have done some sort of dual enrollment in high school. People enter my school with >100 credits as freshmen.

Yeah, and then they plan to do a post-bacc when they could have just stayed in school?

have fun going into med school at.... what like age 19? 20?

Yeah, and then they plan to do a post-bacc when they could have just stayed in school?

Lol most (at least the premed ones) graduate in a year and then do a masters or take more undergrad classes as a non-degree student while they work on ECs. Premeds who follow that track never do a post-bacc though that would be pointless since they already did the prereqs.

Enjoy the education you would receive at one of the best university's in the world? Get a degree you have not taken classes for. If you really don't enjoy being in school for long periods of time or think learning is a drag just do something else besides medicine.