What should I do with my "year-off"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ultimeaciax

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really want to go to med school, but I think that my grades and resume aren't too stellar. Right now, I have a 3.3 GPA, and I have two semesters left to graduate...so I definitely can boost that up a little. I'm also in the process of studying for my MCAT, so I can possibly take it in January or May. However, after this year, I don't know what I should do. Should I do a post-bac to improve my GPA (but I've taken all the premed requirement, so what kind of classes can I take...)? Should I do research? Should I volunteer with the Peace Corp?

What do you guy suggest?

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe a SMP? I mean some schools even offer an interview if you graduate from SMP with at least a 3.0.. Its probably what I will end up doing

Members don't see this ad :)
I really want to go to med school, but I think that my grades and resume aren't too stellar. Right now, I have a 3.3 GPA, and I have two semesters left to graduate...so I definitely can boost that up a little. I'm also in the process of studying for my MCAT, so I can possibly take it in January or May. However, after this year, I don't know what I should do. Should I do a post-bac to improve my GPA (but I've taken all the premed requirement, so what kind of classes can I take...)? Should I do research? Should I volunteer with the Peace Corp?

What do you guy suggest?

Get a job and support yourself.

Just kidding, leech off people as long as you can. For real, I'm not kidding.

If your GPA is in good shape after graduation do research or volunteer. Otherwise, do post-bac and research.

Get a job and support yourself.

Just kidding, leech off people as long as you can. For real, I'm not kidding.

If your GPA is in good shape after graduation do research or volunteer. Otherwise, do post-bac and research.

I think I'm leaning toward doing a post-bac to boost my GPA up and at the same time, continue with research and some volunteer work. However, I saw somewhere before that UCLA has a premed program for minority graduate students, but I can't seem to find it.

If you do a post-bac, it may be hard to raise your GPA depending on how many classes/credits you've already accumulated. I would try to calc how many classes you will need to raise your GPA to what you would like. If takes tou a year to raise it .1 (which is a good improvement), you're overall GPA is still a 3.4 then, not too hot. If you do some kind of MS/SMP, you're grad GPA will be separate, so it will show as a 3.7 or what ever.

I guess what I'm saying, make sure that doing the post bac will raise your GPA to what you want. With a lot of credits, A's can only bring up your GPA so much. There are some 1 year masters programs and then you can have another degree under your belt. Some programs (I know Loyola did 2 years ago, assume it still does) where you do their MPH program for 1 year, maintain a certain grad GPA (i think it's a 3.5) and an MCAT (i think a 28) and they guarentee you an interview at their med school.

Depends on what you are missing. If you think you need leadership skills it may be a good idea to work part time (in some kind of resume padding place) and use the rest of your time to work with a organization.

Why not get a job a Walmart?

I applied with a 3.3 and was accepted, though people like me are the exception and not the rule. There are reasons: I had a solid MCAT, extracurriculars, and my interviews all went smoothly.

First: Don't do research if you don't want to. That's dumb, not smart.

Second: NAIL the MCAT. For people like us, its an absolute necessity. 30+. Wait until you're ready. You are ready when you consistently score 30+ under test-like conditions.

Third: Start the EC's now. Volunteer. Get in the hospital. SHADOW. If this career is for you, you'll like it anyway.

Fourth: You cannot just "volunteer with the Peace Corps." It's a two year life altering commitment. No you shouldn't do this without actually wanting to do it.

Fifth: Consider DO. It's a viable option. Go to Pre-osteo forum to learn more.