1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

What should I do with the year off

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Awuah29, Apr 29, 2004.

1. Awuah29

Awuah29 Christian predent
    7+ Year Member

Hey guys,
    graduated in BA Biology and now I have a year off before dental school. What should I do beside taken my DAT. I know I should have taken my DAT in my Junior year, but couldn't . Is it gonna effect my application process? I mean I have good connection working in a dental office or lab. It doesn't hurt to do that or? Any ideas that are popping up?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. The Musketeer

The Musketeer Guardian of Justice
    10+ Year Member

Dentist
    You will not affect your application by taking the DAT in any one period over another. Just as long as you have a good DAT score (AA, TS, PAT especially), then you should be good (not mentioning respectable GPA).

As for 1 year off, you may decide to keep your brain fairly active by entering a graduate program, or get a job to make some money to pay off your soon-to-exist large debt! Also, work in the dental office if you having done so yet.

4. I've asked before, and I'll ask again: Have you considered starting a boy-band during your time off? I think the timing would be awesome with 'NSync and Backstreet on the outskirts.

5. In all seriousness, I say enjoy your year off as much as possible. I really don't think it negatively affects your situation at all. I took a year off b/w college and dental school, and it's one of the best decisions I ever made.
    I am pretty sure I would have burned out already if I hadn't given my brain a little rest before dental school. Get a mindless job, or, if you can afford it, do nothing at all except have fun! Good luck.

6. blankguy

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    You could join the peace corp or work for habitat for humanity. It's a nice thing to do and say if they ask you "what have you done during your year off?". Travel and check out places that you wanted to go but didn't have a chance to go. Bid farewell to your folks for the next 4 yrs :D .

7. critterbug

critterbug I like big buttz. No Lie!
    7+ Year Member

Substitute teach.

Flexible, but pays pennies. Helps with interpersonal communication. Plus, give ya something to talk about during the interview.

8. Mo007

Mo007 Gifted Hands
    10+ Year Member

I am thinking about teaching too, part-time. Not bad $$$.

9. blankguy

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Tutoring, especially for struggling chem students.

10. HBomb

HBomb Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

How about apply for Big Brother 5? Open casting calls right now!!!
    http://www.cbs.com/primetime/bigbrother5/

Or even better, apply for Amazing Race:
    http://www.cbs.com/primetime/amazing_race5/

No open casting for American Idol right now :(

11. katiw

katiw Member
    5+ Year Member

Do you think dental schools lean more toward excepting students that aren't right out of undergrad? Do you think they want someone with experience, life or dental area?

12. Mo007

Mo007 Gifted Hands
    10+ Year Member

Experience helps a lot, but not the top priority. As long as you are academically competitive (GPA/DAT), and shadowed at a dental office ~ 20 hours or so, you should be fine.

13. Dr.BadVibes

Dr.BadVibes Membership Revoked
    Removed

travel.....dental schools will not look down towards gaining valuable life experiences.......but just make sure you are here for your interviews. :D