What should I do with the year off

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Awuah29

Christian predent
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
graduated in BA Biology and now I have a year off before dental school. What should I do beside taken my DAT. I know I should have taken my DAT in my Junior year, but couldn't . Is it gonna effect my application process? I mean I have good connection working in a dental office or lab. It doesn't hurt to do that or? Any ideas that are popping up?

Members don't see this ad.

You will not affect your application by taking the DAT in any one period over another. Just as long as you have a good DAT score (AA, TS, PAT especially), then you should be good (not mentioning respectable GPA).

As for 1 year off, you may decide to keep your brain fairly active by entering a graduate program, or get a job to make some money to pay off your soon-to-exist large debt! Also, work in the dental office if you having done so yet.

I've asked before, and I'll ask again: Have you considered starting a boy-band during your time off? I think the timing would be awesome with 'NSync and Backstreet on the outskirts.

Members don't see this ad :)
In all seriousness, I say enjoy your year off as much as possible. I really don't think it negatively affects your situation at all. I took a year off b/w college and dental school, and it's one of the best decisions I ever made.
I am pretty sure I would have burned out already if I hadn't given my brain a little rest before dental school. Get a mindless job, or, if you can afford it, do nothing at all except have fun! Good luck.

Awuah29 said:
Hey guys,
graduated in BA Biology and now I have a year off before dental school. What should I do beside taken my DAT. I know I should have taken my DAT in my Junior year, but couldn't . Is it gonna effect my application process? I mean I have good connection working in a dental office or lab. It doesn't hurt to do that or? Any ideas that are popping up?

You could join the peace corp or work for habitat for humanity. It's a nice thing to do and say if they ask you "what have you done during your year off?". Travel and check out places that you wanted to go but didn't have a chance to go. Bid farewell to your folks for the next 4 yrs :D .

Substitute teach.

Flexible, but pays pennies. Helps with interpersonal communication. Plus, give ya something to talk about during the interview.

critterbug said:
Substitute teach.

Flexible, but pays pennies. Helps with interpersonal communication. Plus, give ya something to talk about during the interview.
I am thinking about teaching too, part-time. Not bad $$$.

Mo007 said:
I am thinking about teaching too, part-time. Not bad $$$.

Tutoring, especially for struggling chem students.

Awuah29 said:
Hey guys,

How about apply for Big Brother 5? Open casting calls right now!!!
http://www.cbs.com/primetime/bigbrother5/

Or even better, apply for Amazing Race:
http://www.cbs.com/primetime/amazing_race5/

No open casting for American Idol right now :(

Do you think dental schools lean more toward excepting students that aren't right out of undergrad? Do you think they want someone with experience, life or dental area?

katiw said:
Do you think dental schools lean more toward excepting students that aren't right out of undergrad? Do you think they want someone with experience, life or dental area?
Experience helps a lot, but not the top priority. As long as you are academically competitive (GPA/DAT), and shadowed at a dental office ~ 20 hours or so, you should be fine.

travel.....dental schools will not look down towards gaining valuable life experiences.......but just make sure you are here for your interviews. :D