What Should I do with this low gpa situation? Advise please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meilideai

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I've been following these threads for awhile now, and would like some advice on my current situation.

My stats:
3.3 cGPA
3.1 sGPA

I have read many success stories that involve having an upward trend or strong performance for 1-2 years despite an abysmal gpa. I used the AMCAS GPA excel file posted by someone here, and the graphs did show a slight upward trend, however, I feel it is not sufficient. Let me elaborate with some details:

Freshman (04-05): 3.22 cGPA, 3.16 sGPA
Sophomore (05-06):3.58 cGPA, 3.21 sGPA
Junior (06-07): 3.36 cGPA, 3.03 sGPA (due to serious personal issues)
Senior (07-08): 3.30 cGPA, 3.04 sGPA (still recovering...)
5th year (08-09): 3.29 cGPA, 3.08 sGPA
This summer I am taking my last class, Ochem lab, to graduate.

As you can see, my performance has not been the best in terms of getting my gpa up. The summer after junior year, I did make a two 4.0 quarters with a full load. For example,
SU '07: 4.0 gpa
FA '07: 2.33 gpa (seriously, i dont know what's wrong with me...)
WI '08: 4.0 gpa
SP '08: 3.0 gpa

So my trend is very much roller-coaster like. I have tried hard in the last year to get it up - in terms of attitude and mindset - however, I have also been working 40 hours a week junior year to make ends meet, and 30 hours/wk Senior & 5th year + being involved with school and ECs/volunteer. I know work takes away a lot of time and I do try hard to keep the grades up but I often find myself doing too much or overestimating my capability. I think I'm superwoman or something (quoted from a friend). Obviously I'm not (looking at the gpa). But at least I know what I was doing wrong now. I tend to meet other people's expectations and put grades/school work last. During the 5th year, I did make some progress, but not much - I get caught up in pleasing others (professor/mentor) too much. But I am changing that now!

Since I've been in college for 5 years, I have taken almost all of the upper division biology classes. I really don't know what to do. I often doubt my chances of getting into medical school because I can't seem to show that I can handle the coursework. I know I can handle upper division coursework - although the gpas look faint- I have been getting a good handful of As in upper division biology courses - Physiology, Pharmacology, Endocrinology, Cell Bio, etc.- and Bs in GEs..... (sigh)

Anyway, please advise my current situation. Many have told me to go to an SMP and I will be applying this December after I take the MCATs. But I am very worried about the strong, upward gpa trend that I don't have. I feel like I'm hitting a dead end (almost). But I can't imagine what life would be like if I wasn't a physician - it's been with me since I was 13. I really want to be one.

Thanks for reading this long post!

Members don't see this ad.

Dear meilideai,

You still have a manageable GPA although a Roller coaster GPA often raise a red flag in the adcomm committee for SMP or Post Bac. I have similar GPA as yours and I was accepted to Several SMPs such as: Boston, NYMC, and Univ. of Cincinnati so it can be done.

But before doing all that school searching and MCAT stuff think about why you want to become a physician. Since "we" low GPAs don't have the luxury of getting into a program based solely on our grades, we typically have to convince them with our conviction why we would make the best doctor. Or why they should pick "me" with lower GPA in contrast to someone with higher GPA & MCAT. This is very important in the SMP or Post Bac application process as well.

Second, depending on your geographical location and your status you can look at different programs. If you are a CA resident a post-bac at one of the UCs are highly desirable. I personally chose UCSF for a post-bac instead of the expensive SMP because they have a high % of admission to competitive school (almost 100% for the last three years).

There are also the SMP route where you take med school classes and have to do extremely well to get in. Typically you get in to the school that you've done your SMP in - i.e. high linkage. The drawbacks is that it is more expensive and less personalize that post-bac. A post-bac at UCSF has up to 2 faculty mentors and one academic advisor; which is awesome. But also, if you do poorly at them -> you pretty much burned your bridge towards US medical schools. So more of a do or die mentality.

Whatever you decide think about it and do more research. PM me if you have anymore question.

Regards,
D