1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

what should I do?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by alisha75, Jan 13, 2001.

1. alisha75

alisha75 Member
    10+ Year Member

Can anyone give me any advice? I am not exactly a science wiz, that is why my major is psychology. I've gotten two c's in chem and chem lab. My GPA is not crazy, 3.29. I really want to be a doctor because I really want to help people. I will be taking my mcat this year. I was a student health outreach counselor at my school, I work between 10-20 hours per week in research, I've joined two clubs, and I will be going a medical mission to Africa for three weeks. I think that I am going to get a 27 on the mcat. Should I actullay try to apply this year? Or should I wait a year and try and boost my GPA and activities? thank you for any reply I get!
    alisha

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Sadeeq_19

Sadeeq_19 Member
    10+ Year Member

Alisha,

I don't think you have to be a science "wiz" to get into med school. My advice for you is just study hard for the mcat and take it this spring. You still have plenty of time. Only GOD knows what you will get, so don't worry about that. You have excellent extracurricular activities and your g.p.a isn't really that bad. You said something about medical mission to Africa right? What are you organization are you gonna volunteer for? I'm interested in doing that.
    I really think you should go for it. Good luck.

Sadeeq

4. wooo

wooo Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I noticed you stated you think you will get a 27 on the MCAT. Don't fall into that trap. Study your butt off like your life depends on it, because it actually does. If you do poorly on it, you will not get into med school, conversely, rock it and you're set. I thought I was going to get low to mid 30's on the MCAT. I studied my butt off. I walked to the mailbox and there was an envelope that said MCAT on it. I opened it,.....8-8-9-M. 25 with a pitiful writing score!

What did a say to myself after I picked my jaw up off the road? I said, "I sure am glad I studied my butt off or I would have gotten a 20 or less."

Rock the MCAT and it will negate a slightly low GPA, just too bad the converse isn't true.

5. gower

gower 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Your extracurriculars are exemplary. That being said, with everything else on your plate, you would have been better advised to cut back on some the extras and give more time to your coursework. You don't have to be a science wiz to get A grades in the basic eight. You have to put in enough effective study time; there are other components (NOT including cheating!) involved in doing well, but I don't propose to go in to them here and now.

In my opinion, doing well on the MCAT is at least 50% or more test-taking skill than detailed knowledge, something I also won't go into detail about here and now. Despite popular belief and hopes, the verbal reasoning score is the most important: high science scores and a weak VR score (7 or below) is not good news. Mediocre or poorer scores in all three are bad news.

For MCAT study, I suggest ordering from AAMC the Student Manual and Practice Tests II, III, and IV. These are real tests already given. A Publication Order Form is on the back page of the MCAT booklet included in the application packet.

6. alisha75

alisha75 Member
    10+ Year Member

Thank you for responding. I'm gonna study my hardest! The medical mission is with a group called Global volunteers. They visit many of different countries aroung the world and stay for 2 to 3 weeks. They build schools, put in plumbing lines, and help out with health care in the local clinics or they set up a temporary one of their own. It is kind of expensive though (about 1,500-2,500 dollars for a three week stay, not including airfare.) Thanks again!
    alisha