MD What should I do.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amad01

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
GPA 3.95 MCAT 33
9 months research 1 pub
200+ hours hospice, 100+ hours ER
4 significant leadership roles
100+ community service long term
30+ hours shadowing, doing more over winter break
graduating fall 2014

My wife works for my state school's hospital and her benefits include half off tuition including med school for the spouse. I knew they did half off tuition, but I just found out that it also applies to medical school. This would mean tuition would be about $15,000 a year before any type of aid or grants etc...

This is the only school in my state, so any other school would run me at least $40,000+ per year... my state school's average is about 3.7/30 in top 50, so I feel like I definitely am competitive. Here's my question...

Is it worth it to ONLY apply to my state school this upcoming cycle? I feel like the chance to become a doctor for ~$60,000 is well worth the risk of reapplying next year if I didn't get in. Debt is a big fear for me. I think it's risky to only apply to one school, but if I had to reapply I could then apply to multiple schools. I feel like if I got in to a school that is 50k/yr and rejected from state, I would almost rather take a year off and try again for cheap tuition at my state school again.... Is early decision something I should consider? I just see the difference as $60,000 debt vs $200,000 that is compounding interest... along with moving away from friends/family. 60k is something I could legitimately pay off during residency or even during school while my wife works... Any thoughts? What would you do in my situation?

Tl dr : I can get half off tuition if accepted to state school. Should I only apply there this cycle? My fear is being accepted to an expensive school when I could possibly reapply to my state school if rejected this cycle.

Here is my school list as well:
(all these schools report less than $50,000/yr according to msar)

U. Miami
U. Iowa
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
U. Louisville
Mayo
St. Louis
Wake Forest
Albert Einstein
New York Med
New York U - reach
U. Cincinnati
Drexel
VCU
Brown
Loma Linda
USC - not CA res, prob drop this
UCLA - not CA res, prob drop this.. dream school though
UCSD - not CA res, prob drop this
MCW

Ohio State
U. Michigan - reach
U. Arizona - dream location

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Suppose this happens: You apply only to your wife's school, get your interview, and bomb it.

then what do you do?

Like it or not, you're going to need to apply carefully and strategically. You are correct in surmising that your MCAT scores are not competitive for an OOS person to the highly competitive UC schools.

So, these on your list are your best bets. Keep in mind that state schools prefer the home team and OOS applicants need to be above avg.

U. Miami
U. Iowa
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Wake Forest
Albert Einstein
New York Med
Drexel
VCU
Loma Linda
MCW

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you Goro and gyngyn for your replies. Are there any other schools not on my list that may be OOS friendly that you would suggest?

A lot of my volunteer service has been directed towards underserved latino, burmese, sudanese, and kenyan populations. I speak spanish, lived in S America for a couple years. Any schools off the top of anyone's head that really looks towards underserved family care etc. ?

Considering only applying to my state school, I guess it'll just be my top choice and if I get in that's great and if not then it is what it is. It just feels safe to be able to wait another year, save money and reapply in order to try to get such a good deal on tuition. But if they don't like me the first year, why would they the second?

They may like you IF you show considerable improvement between the two app cycles.

Considering only applying to my state school, I guess it'll just be my top choice and if I get in that's great and if not then it is what it is. It just feels safe to be able to wait another year, save money and reapply in order to try to get such a good deal on tuition. But if they don't like me the first year, why would they the second?[/quote]

Last edited:
OP, I would also factor in living costs. Sure Brown is 47k tuition per year but living in providence is not cheap. I take it if you go to your state school, your living arrangements with the wife are taken care of

Yes, definitely a good point. Everything here is taken care of. If I get into my state school, I could basically pay cash for med school while attending and graduate with little or no debt.

Applying to just one school sends the message that you'd like to go to medical school, so long as it's convenient -- which is not the message you want to send.

Your qualifications are very good, and your school list looks appropriate. But since you're worried about costs, you may want to take a gamble on the Texas schools. While they have a very strong preference for in state applicants, they do accept some higher-than-avg. stat applicants like yourself, and your Spanish language and volunteering in under-served communities would be attractive. Many OOS applicants receive a small ($1,000) scholarship and in-state tuition if accepted.

Good Luck!

Would they be able to see that I only applied to their school? Looking at MSAR, all the Texas schools take about 90% in-state students besides Baylor, but I don't think my stats stand out enough for Baylor to justify the TMDSAS.

Would they be able to see that I only applied to their school? Looking at MSAR, all the Texas schools take about 90% in-state students besides Baylor, but I don't think my stats stand out enough for Baylor to justify the TMDSAS.

All except Baylor do take 90% in state; Baylor needs to take 75% - that's the law.
Baylor is the only Texas school that takes the regular AMCAS application. TCOM takes ACCOMAS. The other 8 TX MD schools take the TMDSAS application -- so it's 8 schools (several of which don't have secondaries), not just one.

Last edited:
This is one of those very unique circumstances that applying to a small number of schools could be excusable. However, I believe if you are passed over that cycle you will have to be listed as a reapplicant the next cycle.

To add to the advice here, if you are looking for a short list of low-cost institutions to add to your list, look up Case Western and CCLMC.