What Should I Do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thejoker10

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As of right now I have a 2.8 gpa (science and overall) with a 32O on my mcat (I took it earlier this year). I know my chances of US MD schools are at ~0.1% but I've been considering DO.

I plan on either entering a post bacc program or just retaking a few courses since AACOM does grade replacement. If I were to retake a few courses and get an A- average I'd be at 3.15 gpa and then I'd take a few more courses to boost that up a little more so it's closer to the 3.3 range.

Carribbean is possibly another option for me and here's why:

I see a lot of hate on here about Caribbean medical schools and their inability to get their students into residency programs, but I don't really understand it. This link states that 76% of Caribbean students from Ross got into a residency program. Now I know 95% compared to 76% is a significant difference, but I don't get the bashing and the constant "YOU WILL NOT GET RESIDENCY FROM CARIBBEAN MD SCHOOL'S DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME" nonsense. 76% is a really respectable number in my opinion.

I'm having a difficult time deciding between which option to go for from the 3 and I would like some help from you all! I'm leaning more towards retaking classes, followed by post bacc, and then as a last resort the Caribbean, but what do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm the link was busted, for me at least.

As of right now I have a 2.8 gpa (science and overall) with a 32O on my mcat (I took it earlier this year). I know my chances of US MD schools are at ~0.1% but I've been considering DO.

I plan on either entering a post bacc program or just retaking a few courses since AACOM does grade replacement. If I were to retake a few courses and get an A- average I'd be at 3.15 gpa and then I'd take a few more courses to boost that up a little more so it's closer to the 3.3 range.

Carribbean is possibly another option for me and here's why:

I see a lot of hate on here about Caribbean medical schools and their inability to get their students into residency programs, but I don't really understand it. This link states that 76% of Caribbean students from Ross got into a residency program. Now I know 95% compared to 76% is a significant difference, but I don't get the bashing and the constant "YOU WILL NOT GET RESIDENCY FROM CARIBBEAN MD SCHOOL'S DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME" nonsense. 76% is a really respectable number in my opinion.

I'm having a difficult time deciding between which option to go for from the 3 and I would like some help from you all! I'm leaning more towards retaking classes, followed by post bacc, and then as a last resort the Caribbean, but what do you guys think?
I don't see a link. Did it say in which country the residencies were obtained? Perhaps you assumed they were in the US?

Here is a link that does work, giving hard data about match rates of DO, US grads, and grads from international med schools: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/us-md-vs-us-do-vs-aua-ross-and-sgu.888658/#post-12109604 (clicking the tiny graphs enlarges them).

International grads will be competing with even more US MD grads and DO grads by the time you are ready to match due to the increases in class size and new schools opening recently, despite the fact that no new residency spots are opening up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm the link was busted, for me at least.
I don't see a link. Did it say in which country the residencies were obtained? Perhaps you assumed they were in the US?

Here is a link that does work, giving hard data about match rates of DO, US grads, and grads from international med schools: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/us-md-vs-us-do-vs-aua-ross-and-sgu.888658/#post-12109604 (clicking the tiny graphs enlarges them).

International grads will be competing with even more US MD grads and DO grads by the time you are ready to match due to the increases in class size and new schools opening recently, despite the fact that no new residency spots are opening up.

Sorry here's the link again... http://www.studentdoc.com/caribbean-medical-school-residency.html