What should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hey guys!

So I'm kind of confused and really need advice. I'm working on my AMCAS app and have reached a fork in the road. I took the MCAT once and got a 29 and am taking it again June 19th! The score will be released July 21st. Someone said I should time my application so that when I submit my application, the day it is processed will be the day my scores come out. I have some questions though.

- Will my MCAT scores be automatically updated and sent to schools? Is this the best option?
- Should I wait to get my scores and then change my score section of the application and then submit?

Help!

Members don't see this ad.

I applied last year, and I submitted my application the day that it opened for submission. You do not (and should not!) need to wait for your MCAT score to come in before submitting the remainder of your application. AMCAS will process what you have (which takes a few weeks as I recall), approve your application, and then you can wait for the scores.

When your MCAT scores come in, they will be automatically added to your application. You can't do anything to the score section other than approve it. Provided everything else is in order on your application (and you will be informed if it's not), the application will become visible to the medical schools you specified.

The most successful applicants, from my experience, are the ones who submit their applications early, even before the scores are released. They get an edge by not having to wait for the app to process. I don't know about timing your application so that the day it's processed is the day your scores come out, but I can tell you that AMCAS takes an unpredictable amount of time to process your app. It may take seven days, or it may take ten, etc. Go ahead and submit your application when you are satisfied with what you have entered. The sooner the better. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
However, he has an existing score and schools can decide upon that even if another exam is planned.

That's a good point. At this point I suppose it would be a balance between the benefit of getting the application in early, and the detriment of having a full month or so of a visible MCAT score of 29 (which really is a pretty good score). However, could there be a way to notify schools reading your application that a new MCAT score is forthcoming? I know I listed the date when I planned to take the MCAT when I applied, and I think you can specify that if you have multiple scores. I'm not sure as I only dealt with one score.