what should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

r123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't think I have any chance of getting accepted by US med schools since there are many very brilliant students than me. I just feel like big failure. I still need to at least try to give it a chance b/c I have been thinking about becoming one since elementary school. My stats are very bad, but I am going to bring my GPA up and do my best on MCAT. I just want to know if I should even do it or just think of alternative plan. I don't feel like giving up at all. My heart is telling me to go for it. I may be sounding very stupid, but I am sorry, I don't know what to do.

What should I do?!! I am very confused.

I haven't even decided on what specialty I want to go in. Optometry or MD.

My info:

Since I transferred from cc to University, my GPA went down from overall 3.00 to 2.5. Currently, I am taking MCAT this August and will be doing volunteering. Hopping to get my bachelors in chem. by next year.

Members don't see this ad.

r123 said:
I don't think I have any chance of getting accepted by US med schools since there are many very brilliant students than me. I just feel like big failure. I still need to at least try to give it a chance b/c I have been thinking about becoming one since elementary school. My stats are very bad, but I am going to bring my GPA up and do my best on MCAT. I just want to know if I should even do it or just think of alternative plan. I don't feel like giving up at all. My heart is telling me to go for it. I may be sounding very stupid, but I am sorry, I don't know what to do.

we gotta know more about you to give you advice!! but if its not that bad give it a try... if its really that bad... build it up!!! and then try!

without knowing any specific numbers and more details it's impossible to say

Members don't see this ad :)
DKM, come now... no biting the newbies!

r123 said:

My info:

Since I transferred from cc to University, my GPA went down from overall 3.00 to 2.5. Currently, I am taking MCAT this August and will be doing volunteering. Hopping to get my bachelors in chem. by next year.

Medicine is a huge commitment that gets even deeper the further you go. I would try to make an effort to see if this is really the right path for you; if it is, great then you know that you are going to have to dig your heels in and prepare for a long journey of pre-reqs, undergraduate work, mcats, and a possible post-bac. I highly suggest shadowing a physician for a while; this will either really turn you on or really turn you off. Talk to doctors about their experiences and opinions on medicine, talk to nurses, NPs, PA's, and so on to see if maybe another field would be a better fit for you.

If you decide that this is really what you want to do with the rest of your life, then may God be with you ;) . I would start by retaking any med school pre-reqs that you scored a C or below in and make sure you have an incredibly firm grasp of those courses because they are going to show up again on the mcat. You need to pull that gpa above a 3.0

Consider taking a review course; I didn't and normally wouldn't suggest it for most people, but you really really need to nail the mcat to have a shot at US schools. When I say you need to do well, I mean like 30+ well; do not take the exam until you are scoring in this range because it may very well be the kiss of death on your application.

Also look into some post bac programs to boost that gpa. You don't have to be the most brilliant person on the earth to get into medical school, but you do need to know how to study efficiently and plan your time wisely. If you are a weaker student, don't do anything stupid like take O-chem and physics together because these are both pre-req courses that med schools look hard at and really want to see their candidates do well in (like A or B well)

Get to know your professors well; if you need help in a course go in and see them. My cousin got through organic with an A because she literally went in to see her professor everyday to talk about assigned problems and basic concepts. Knowing your professors is also advantageous because then later on they can write outstanding letters of recommendation for you, stating how you were the most superest outstanding and hardworking student they have ever had and how you will make the most superest outstanding doctor because of your brilliance and work ethic. Or something like that.

Oh yeah, and if you do shadow or work in a hospital, try to get clinical letters of recommendation from the physicians you work with. I think these are really useful; it's nice when Dr. Ross, MD extraodinaire and bigtime hottie, can say, "so and so does very well with patients and will be an excellent asset to the medical community in the future."

Your GPA will most likely preclude you from a successful admissions bid. What will help you out tremendously, is to swing over to the postbac forum, and peruse through special masters programs to make your application more competitive. Special Masters Programs (well known ones are Georgetown, Boston University's Master of Arts in Medical Sciences) are basically a way to allay adcom fears of your ability to perform in medical school classes. These classes put you in high yield, difficult medical school classes alongside first and second year medical students, in classes such as Medical Physiology and Medical Biochemistry, where you would be scored alongside with medical students. I've met many individuals with sub 3.0 GPAs (which alone has a less then 2% chance of admission into medical school according to admissionsconsultants.com) who have gone onto these SMP's (contingent on getting at least a 30 on the MCATs- the cutoff is 27 but a 30 is the unspoken requirement), and subsequently gained admission into medical school either the following year, or the year after that. These types of postbac programs puts the applicant at a very competitive edge because it leaves no guesswork for adcoms in gauging how well you may or may not do in medical school, because well....simply put, you already demonstrated it. Some programs such as Drexel's program have soemthing similar to this if your MCAT is not competitive. It focuses your coursework on heavy sciences to make your application competitive, and has many courses designed to raise your MCAT. PM me if you have any questions.

At this point, I wouldn't rush into anything. Take a step back and think about why you want to go into medicine. When I was rejected from med school this year, I reevaluated everything. I looked at what I like about med (helping others, problem solving, intelligent peers, respect) and saw if there were other careers where I could get those things. I became interested in law and dentistry, and I took a practice LSAT and DAT. I talked to some friends in law school and even met with an admissions advisor. But even after doing all of those things, when I went back to work in the hospital I felt like I was where I belonged. The best way to know if you are meant for med is not your grades, but how you feel when you're in a clinical setting and if you feel that you can handle the work.

How are you doing on your MCAT diags? If your scoring in the teens and early 20s, you may want to hold off on the MCAT for a while and focus on post-bacc work to get your GPA up and learn some more science. I would advise undergrad work over an SMP because if you're still picking between med and opto.

Thanks everyone, that did help me a lot, especially, Silas2642's response. I will be taking some of the classes over again in which I got Cs. I actually did the same as your cousin, I went everyday to the O. Chem prof for help, did all the homework, and did get an A. I am also thinking about doing the postbac programs and SMP that braluk and Chaeymaey are talking about. Currently, I am taking the Princeton review course and doing all the hw and hopping for the best.

r123 said:
Thanks everyone, that did help me a lot, especially, Silas2642's response. I will be taking some of the classes over again in which I got Cs. I actually did the same as your cousin, I went everyday to the O. Chem prof for help, did all the homework, and did get an A. I am also thinking about doing the postbac programs and SMP that braluk and Chaeymaey are talking about. Currently, I am taking the Princeton review course and doing all the hw and hopping for the best.
dont feel pressured to take the test in august if your prac tests aren't showing the results you want/need. Especially since you're going postbacc anyways, theres no point in taking the test now and have to worry about them expiring later

kevster2001 said:
dont feel pressured to take the test in august if your prac tests aren't showing the results you want/need. Especially since you're going postbacc anyways, theres no point in taking the test now and have to worry about them expiring later

I definitely agree with this. Don't take the mcat unless your practice scores are really strong. Most schools only accept mcat scores that are 2-3 years old, anyway, and if you wind up applying for a post-bac/smp program, that could take a little while.

You guys are suggesting that I postpone taking MCAT, but I have already paid $1699 for MCAT preparation course and won’t be getting my money back. My mom is a single parent and will be very mad if she finds out that I paid that much and won't be taking the August MCAT. I don’t work. :(

Doula-2-OB said:
DKM, come now... no biting the newbies!
That wasn't biting. The last time I checked the correct ritual for seppuku is like the proper technique for a girl giving a blowjob- no teeth involved. :laugh: