1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

What should I do?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Dr. Grkovich, Oct 18, 2002.

1. BlueAvocado

BlueAvocado MD/DO Hopeful
    Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Well I had a little concern about my classes. After a couple years of pause from schooling I started my premed this fall. When I was getting ready to start school I was under an impression it would be easier then it proved to be. I find my self struggling right now although I am only taking Physics and Chemistry. Yeah thought come to me, like maybe I am just going through a tough period, but furtermore I am worried that I wont be able to handle Medical School if I can't handle two fairly easy classes how can I expect to handle Med School. :(

Right now I am at about C level in Chem and about B in Physics and it seems to be going down hill. Have you guys been in this slump, and how do you handle it. I have a family wife and a kid and I seem to devote more time to my chem and physics homework(which is assigned every class meeting) then I do to them. Should I drop and start over, or should I stick it out and bite the bullet if I get a B or C in those classes. Thanx

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Nefertari

Nefertari Undercover Premed
    7+ Year Member

Take Spanish. :p Just kidding. I've forgiven you for the hostilities on your previous thread.

It'll be ok. All of us have been through the same, getting C's early on in chem & phys. What matters is you stick w/ it & improve. ;)

4. LoveDoc

LoveDoc Respect the Rhesus Monkey
    7+ Year Member

Dr. G,

This happened to me during my undergrad years. Here is what I have done to improve:

1) Just like the previous person said. Keep going. Don't stop. Sometimes it takes longer to sink in.

2) Do practice test. Did I say do practice test? DO PRACTICE TEST. I can't re-itterate how this has made the difference for me thusfar. Do problems and more problems.

3) Look for the bigger picture. Don't just study to get A's. Study to relate Chemistry to Physics. Inter-relate (is that a word?) the concepts.

Believe in yourself. Do introspection. Study smarter not harder.

5. SM-UCLA tech

SM-UCLA tech CCOM MS4 soon OB/Gyn PGY1
    7+ Year Member

I feel for you....
    I am in a similar situation......I am married with two children,
    and I have a B.A. in History. I work full-time and for the last two years have been working on my pre-reqs. At first it was very difficult to manage my time. But you will learn how to balance everything out. I can't say what you should do about your grades. Of course they are important, and that is the unfortunate part. If you are struggling to the point where you are going to get C's, my advice would be to make sure you improve upon those scores with subsequent classes. If you were to continue with those types of grades, it would be nearly impossible to matriculate into a U.S. allopathic school. But if you are able to improve, and you do well on the MCAT, then you should be fine.

Stick with it. Don't give up.......and keep putting more time into your studies......it's a sacrifice, and your wife and family might get frustrated at times, but in the end it will definitely be worth it if this is really what you want to do.

I'm still waiting for interviews, and I know when I get accepted somewhere ( god i hope!), myself and my family will be ecstatic.

Good Luck!

6. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Doh! You beat me to it! :)

7. relatively prime

relatively prime post happy member
    7+ Year Member

I'm assuming that you want an honest opinion and not just some motivational BS (though maybe a little of both :) )...
    So look... honestly, what you need to do it sit down and ask yourself "how much do I want this?" If you really really really want to go to med school more than anything else in the whole world (more than spending time with your family or having a life or anything!) then, yes, you should continue... and if you have to, take the C in chem. Dropping out and retaking probably won't help much I don't think.

The truth of the matter is this:

1) Short of a miracle, you won't get into med school with less than a 3.00 gpa. Which means if you get a C in Chem... you're going to need to get at least two A's next semester to make up for it. You can start out with Cs but in the long run, for every C you get, you're going to need to get two As... and that's just to have a 3.0 average!

2) This is easy compared to med school. You think you have it rough now... just wait till med school starts. If you're having trouble handling 2 undergraduate courses, you're going to die in med school. Sorry, but it's true. You need to figure out now what you're doing wrong... or if this just isn't for you.

However, if this is your passion and what you absolutely have to do... then of course there's a way. You just have to sacrafice pretty much everything else.

Good luck to you! :)

8. Sonya

Sonya Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

think about why you're having trouble in the classes? i assuming that's all your doing, not working, also? Maybe, you just need to improve study skills, or get help a tutour for these classes?

9. efex101

efex101 attending
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I kinda agree with RP on this one. You must demonstrate the ability to handle rigorous coursework (specially for us non-trads) ie chem, physics, organic, cell/molec, biochem, etc. for medical schools to consider you (all of us) as a good medical school candidate. They have to do this so they can pick those candidates that will be able to pass the med school courses. As a returning adult student we even have to prove ourselves a little bit more, we can no longer use the excuse (or whatever we want to call it) that we were young and did not realize the intensity of college years, yada yada. And because we are older we should be able to better focus and kick arse in these pre-med requirements. I truly believe that you can do this, you might consider dropping one class and continuing with the other and see what happens. Adcoms will possibly overlook a C here and there but if you are so sure that medicine is what you want they may question more than two C's in a row. Sometimes it is not about getting the courses done quicker, but doing them so you can get the best possibly grade, what is the hurry? Sometimes the more mature student in his/her hurry to get the pre-reqs over with end up screwing themselves over with less than stellar grades. Regroup, look to see if there is anything that you can change in your study habit to possibly keep both classes and get B's. Talk to the professors, tutoring department, if not drop one class keep the one you are doing well in and next time do not take two classes at a time. I can imagine how hard it can be to work full time, have a family, take classes, etc..Good luck.

10. Nefertari

Nefertari Undercover Premed
    7+ Year Member

Hey RA,

If you'd been around, I would have gladly given you the honor! :D

11. BatmanMD

BatmanMD Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I was in a similar situation. I had a kid and was married when I started my pre-med classes. My first semester was BAD:eek: !
    I dropped the semester, decided if medicine was worth it, and re-enrolled the following semester.
    It is still VERY EARLY in the semester, so I would NOT drop the classes. There is still plenty of time to improve your scores by december, try talking to your teachers, other students, get a tutor, ect....

That said, if you think you don't have time now, wait until med school. Just like others have said, if you're only taking 2 classes now, med school will be at least 3X busier. You will have less time to spend w/ your wife and kid. Trust me, I know.

Getting a B or C will not kill you, BUT you will have to work harder on organic and your biology classes to make up for it.

Re-evaluate your priorities and make some time-management changes, and you should be OK!:clap: :clap:
    TRY not to worry about getting in ,b/c you still have at least another year, probably 2 before you can get in anyway. (easier said than done:laugh: )
    Best of luck to you!

12. neuromd03

neuromd03 Membership Revoked
    Removed 2+ Year Member

Attending Physician

Physics and chemistry are heavy in math. How are you in calculus? Are you seeing a tutor? B's and C's are bad from a pre-med standpoint and could put an end to your medical career before it even starts (sorry, but that's how the cookie crumbles). You'll have to talk with your profs and discuss your areas of weakness and how you can improve.

13. DoubleDoctor

DoubleDoctor Ceder Dog's Daddy
    7+ Year Member

You didn't really say what your undergrad degree is in but I am assuming that it is not science. I was a double science major so taking 3-4 science classes at a time is old hat to me but I remember back when I started high school and had chem, bio, and physics all the same year and it was tough. I agree with the other posts that mathematics are essential in certain science classes and you really need to evaluate if that is part of your problem. If you don't have a strong mathematics background then maybe you should drop one of the classes while you are still passing and take some more advanced math classes.

I'm not sure which chem you are taking but O Chem and Physics are both study intensive classes (a lot of homework, problems, and studying). I graduated from Miami University and I can only speak from my experience but the test material always got more difficult as the semester progressed and I think you have genuine cause to be worried. I totally agree with the comments about approaching the profs and tutoring. Really look at your study habits because most college science classes are all about understanding and applying the concepts that you learn to a particular set of circumstances or conditions and rarely test off the lecture notes and textbook. Yes, you have to know the lecture material but it will not be a straight forward question out of the notes.

If you were a science major I think a C would be less of a big deal because they have tons of other science classes to look at and see that you can perform. If you get a B in an intro bio class but A's in virology, pathogenic, histology, and genetics then I doubt that it has a lot of effect but if you only have the pre-req's to show then I think those grades become more important.

I certainly wouldn't give up my dream because of a class or two.
    Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS-Talk to some of the other students that had the classes last year and try to get copies of old tests also. That could give you clues into the profs testing style and what they think is important.

14. Rudy1223

Rudy1223 Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    You can do this!! Perseverence is the key. I can't imagine what you're going through and how hard it must be!

My recommendation(I hope it means something):

It's not how much time you put into studying. REALLY!!!! Its the quality of time you put into this. Find a quiet place to study for 2 hours each day where nobody will bother you. Usually this is more helpful than studying 7 hours in front of a tv or kids or whatever. Try it! You are smarter than these subjects, dont forget that.....others have done it others are doing it you can too, however dont let this strain your relationship with your family because that is what counts, take it easy and remember who you are doing this for!

best wishes,

Rudy

15. BlueAvocado

BlueAvocado MD/DO Hopeful
    Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    For all the responces I received from you guys , I just want to say God Bless and thank you, Sometimes when a person is stuck in a jam it's hard to see a big picture. That's why I think it's important and very helpfull for someone to put it into perspective. I remember when i was going through Air Force boot camp and the first week went by people were trying left and right to get out badly even as far as to make up excuses of being gay so they can get out of that hardship. But for those who stuck around it really paid off.

I think it just makes it a little bit harder when family is on my mind. I mean if I was single there would only be me to worry about but now that I have a kid and another one on the way it gets my nervs going. When you take a gamble not only to your self but to others there is more pressure to succed. I really appreciate the responces. Even though there was the kid with his .02 cents in (random Aces). Kids are great you got to love em.

16. exigente chica

7+ Year Member

Buckle down and just concentrate, think about how these classes will help you in the long run and I bet you will be more motivated to study and learn then before!

My teacher once told me...Do the work and the grade will come, it's true if youre worried about getting the A it is not worth it, if you actuall learn the materail it's better and u will get an A too..

Good luck and never give up:clap: