SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

What should I do?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by ejay286, May 8, 2008.

1. ejay286

ejay286 Member 10+ Year Member

Jul 10, 2005
    I'm applying this summer to a couple of medical schools and if I get accepted of course I will attend. The question, however, is what should I do if I'm not accepted? I'm considering getting a one year masters degree in a biology or health science and reapplying, but the main reason that I feel I may not get into a med school this cycle is my grade point average. I have great ECs, research, and shadowing experience. My mcat looks to also be pretty competitive. So should I just retake the classes I didnt do so well in in undergrad and reapply that way. Would that just be considered post-bacc? Also, can someone give me some insight on SMPs?
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. lisasimpson87

lisasimpson87 5+ Year Member

Jan 8, 2008
    I am in a similar position..I likely will get in but am just paranoid that I won't, so it's good to have a backup plan. I'm thinking of applying to Teach for America and City Year and other similar programs...they're short commitments and would help strengthen my ECs, which is probably the weakest part of my application. I would say that strengthening whatever is the weakest would be the way to go, so for you maybe take post-bacc classes to improve your science GPA. I just tell myself it's too early to be thinking about things like this and if come January I haven't gotten into med school I'll come up with alternate plans...for now all the energy is going to be devoted into getting in :)
  4. franniemeow07

franniemeow07 10+ Year Member

Nov 21, 2006
    Teach for America is not something to be taken lightly. It is a 2 year commitment that is competitive to get into, and they will screen out people who apply just to improve their resume. With that said, there are much better ways other than TFA to boost your application :) I haven't heard of City Year, but local programs like those are bound to yield more in terms of the EC department.