Canadian IB

7+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
This is the situation, I just bombed my last calc test!! If I work really hard I can still get a decent mark in this course but I think its unlikely. Math is so unpredictable!!! I have no problem taking a W since it will be my first. But if I take a W then I will have only completed 3.5 credits for the year, a full course load is 5. If I keep the calc course then I will be completing 4.5 credits but my there will be a big drop in my GPA.

How will med schools look at me only having done 3.5 credits in first year. Will they frown upon it? or would it be ok if I just justify it.

I think its better to have a higher GPA than to worry about course load. I also going to make up the extra courses this summer. and I will have a full course load for the rest of years.

at my school its 1 credit is a 3 or 4 hour week class for the whole year I know that some school work with other systems so hopefully this helps

I also have 2 AP credits but I don't know if that will count for anything. By the way I am a first year/freshman.

Thanks so much!

Last edited:

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Umm it's alright.. I'm hoping that 3.5 credits at your school = more then 1 class..

Sep 4, 2006
Inside the tesseract
US schools, unlike some Canadian schools don't care if you don't take a full course load each year. having a light load the freshman year is of no consequence, as you'd have other years to show you can carry a heavy load and suceed.

If you think you can get a B in the course, then I'd stay in it. If you're going to get a D or F, getting a W is preferable. If a C is likely, then you'd need As in four other classes with the same credits to redeem it, but it wouldn't be held against you. JMO. I'm sure someone with a Canadian perspective might see additional implications I don't appreciate.

Canadian IB

7+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks so much, you're awesome and have instilled hope back into me!!!!

I also started another thread about this in the other forum before, you posted, sorry

bannie22

Hero
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2009
i tink you should go play some games.

anyway, you will not get into med school if you cant do introductory calc with one hand tied behind ur back.