what should i expect at NSU COP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorRx1986

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there. Though I am currently a pre-pharmacy student, I plan to attend the Ft. Lauderdale campus of Nova Southeastern University College of Pharmacy. For those of you who are former students, what is the difficulty level of the school's curriculum? What should I expect academically? I performed very well academically in all of my pre-pharmacy courses, obtaining a GPA of 3.93 (according to Pharmcas calculations) and obtained a decent PCAT score of 73 in August 2007. I am concerned with future performance for fear that the curriculum will be overwhelming and torture for the next 4 years. Though difficulty of curriculum differs among schools, i am really interested in learning more about Nova. Feel free to pm me. Thanks/

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there. Though I am currently a pre-pharmacy student, I plan to attend the Ft. Lauderdale campus of Nova Southeastern University College of Pharmacy. For those of you who are former students, what is the difficulty level of the school's curriculum? What should I expect academically? I performed very well academically in all of my pre-pharmacy courses, obtaining a GPA of 3.93 (according to Pharmcas calculations) and obtained a decent PCAT score of 73 in August 2007. I am concerned with future performance for fear that the curriculum will be overwhelming and torture for the next 4 years. Though difficulty of curriculum differs among schools, i am really interested in learning more about Nova. Feel free to pm me. Thanks/

Good program :thumbup:

Difficulty level? Well...it's pharmacy school. There's nothing really specific I can think of to tell you. Don't fret though...relax and enjoy it!

My # 1 tip...always do good at the beginning of the semesters...that way you can coast/take the pressure off towards the end when everyone else is spazzing out.

Make sure you go to the reviews or the recitation before the exams and high light and study the main points that the professor talked about... Its better to spend time studying a selected fewer material INTENSIVELY than knowing everything in the notes.... Also the only class you might want to buy a book is for Pharmacodynamics I with Hernandez and Appu... In the other classes, do not bother buying the book because you will only end up having time to just study the notes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I would undoubtedly get DiPiro for T&P. But then again, I purchased all of the books...and used them. Guess it's up to you. ;)

And remember, pharmacy school is about learning the material...not just memorizing it. Memorization is a waste of time. The important stuff will stick, and you'll get good at looking up what you need to know...fast.

Thanks for your replies. Spiriva, as for first semester biochemistry, how should i prepare for that? Should i review my notes and textbooks for organic chemistry? I did very well in organic chem and have always wondered how much of it will i need to use, especially in certain courses such as biochem. Thanks for your help!.

Just curious, have you been accepted to Nova for this Fall or are you just thinking really far ahead?

Biochem is just another class, it is tough though. It is good to know your structures and amino acids. If you know Glycolysis and gluconeogenesis then you are a step ahead.

Just curious, have you been accepted to Nova for this Fall or are you just thinking really far ahead?

Biochem is just another class, it is tough though. It is good to know your structures and amino acids. If you know Glycolysis and gluconeogenesis then you are a step ahead.

I had my interview on February 6th to start this fall. However, I'm waiting to see if i'll get accepted.

Thanks for your replies. Spiriva, as for first semester biochemistry, how should i prepare for that? Should i review my notes and textbooks for organic chemistry? I did very well in organic chem and have always wondered how much of it will i need to use, especially in certain courses such as biochem. Thanks for your help!.

Hmmmm. Well, I don't know if there's anything specific I can think of to prepare for biochem. Some of those classes you take in the first couple semesters (i.e. biochem, micro, A&P) are really just to provide a solid backbone/foundation for when you get to the truly clinical stuff...and NSU is definitely focused on preparing you for clinical practice. Now that I look back at the curriculum, classes like Therapeutics/Pathophys, Patient Care Management...those are the ones that really stand out.

So, to get back to your question...your undergrad classes should have prepared you plenty for biochem, etc. And I don't really think it's necessary to review that material now. Keep your notes/books if you still have them for reference though. They'll get into enzymes/glycolysis/gluconeogenesis/Kreb's cycle, etc. like the rest of them...but nothing I would worry about now. Not until you start in the fall anyways. ;)

Good luck! And hope you get that letter of acceptance soon!